Bright Lights At Night Photo Comparison, Low Light Videos + Verdict
Bright Lights At Night
We then looked at how both cameras controlled bright lights at night.
The Samsung Galaxy Note9 (US | UK | Shopee | Lazada) did a better job of controlling the highlights. The street lamp is more subdued. The letter R on the building is better defined, and the brightly-lit trees in the far background are clearly seen.
With the iPhone X, the street lamp has a brighter glare, and noticeably, the highlights are blown out at the top of the brightly-lit trees in the far background. The letter R on the building is also a little overblown, appearing white (instead of blue) and less well-defined.
Galaxy Note9 vs. iPhone X – Low Light Video
What about recording video in low-light conditions? Let’s look at the worst-case scenario – extremely low-light conditions from above.
Here is an example of a night dancing session at the Curve. The singers are on a well-lit platform, but the dancers are not lit by street lights. The Samsung Galaxy Note9 was not mounted on any gimbal.
Despite the changing brightness of the scene, the Samsung Galaxy Note9 did a great job of instantly adjusting the brightness of the subjects. This is not an easy feat when we switched focus to the dancers, because the background is much brighter.
What we ended up with is a happy balance of reasonably bright subjects without overly bright backgrounds. In fact, you can see right into the restaurant behind the dancers!
Galaxy Note9 vs. iPhone X – Verdict
No matter whether you are taking photos or videos, in dimly-lit scenes or really low-light conditions, the Galaxy Note9 will deliver much better results than the iPhone X, without exception.
Even in brightly-lit scenes, the Galaxy Note9 does a better job of controlling the highlights. This is just as important as bringing out the details hidden in the shadows. The iPhone X shows a tendency to overflow the highlights, losing colour and detail in the process.
Whatever Apple may put on the billboards, we are sticking with the Samsung Galaxy Note9 (US | UK | Shopee | Lazada) for our photography and videography needs. This is yet another reason why we gave it our Editor’s Choice Award!
Where To Buy The Samsung Galaxy Note9?
- Samsung Galaxy Note9 (128 GB) : RM 3,299 (Lazada | Shopee)
- Samsung Galaxy Note9 (512 GB) : RM 4,199 (Lazada | Shopee)
- Samsung Galaxy Note9 (128 GB, International Unlocked) : $732
- Samsung Galaxy Note9 (128 GB, US Unlocked) : $899.99
- Samsung Galaxy Note9 (512 GB, International Unlocked) : $992.49
- Samsung Galaxy Note9 (512 GB, US Unlocked) : $1,149.99
Recommended Reading[adrotate group=”2″]
- The Samsung Galaxy Note9 In-Depth Review
- Samsung Galaxy Note9 Low Light Performance Examined!
- The 7 Secret Galaxy Note9 S Pen Features You Never Knew!
- Awesome Samsung Galaxy Note9 Photo Samples From Our Taipei Trip!
- The Spectacular Samsung Galaxy Note9 Launch Event!
- The Samsung Galaxy Note9 Price, Features + Offers Revealed!
- Here Are The Samsung Galaxy Note9 Pre-Order Details!
- Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus “Dual Aperture” Smartphone Review
Go Back To > First Page | Mobile Devices | Home
Support Tech ARP!