ASUS ZenFone Max Pro M1 - Everything You Need To Know!
Here is everything you need to know about the new ASUS ZenFone Max Pro M1 smartphone – price, availability and specifications! Also find out how it stacks against the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5, and why we think ASUS has a real blockbuster in the Max Pro M1!
The ASUS ZenFone Max Series
The ASUS ZenFone Max is the popular series of smartphones ASUS has even produced, and for very good reasons. They offer mid-range smartphones with good performance and an incredible battery life.
They practically hold within their slim frames a power bank. In fact, they are all capable of acting as a power bank to recharge other smartphones and portable devices! Hence, the Max moniker.
The ASUS ZenFone Max Pro M1
The ASUS ZenFone Max Pro M1 is the latest ZenFone Max model to be released by ASUS. It follows up on the success of the ZenFone Max Plus M1 (ZB570TL) we saw just a few months ago, and directly challenges the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5.
Despite its very similar name, the ZenFone Max Pro is a very different beast from the ZenFone Max Plus M1 (ZB570TL). It is, in fact, a leap ahead in features and performance, powered by the new Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 SoC, with up to 6 GB of RAM and a dual-lens camera
According to ASUS, the Snapdragon 636 is over 2.7X faster than the Snapdragon 430 used in the ZenFone 4 Max Pro (Price Check), and over 1.5X faster than the Snapdragon 625 used in the ZenFone 4 Selfie Pro (Price Check).
It also comes with a larger 6″ IPS display, with a Full HD+ resolution of 1080 x 2160 pixels. The ultra-wide 18:9 aspect ratio allows ASUS to fit a bigger display in the form factor of a traditional 5.5″ smartphone.
The ASUS ZenFone Max Pro M1 also comes with a dual-lens rear camera, with a main camera with a 13 MP sensor, and a depth camera with an 5 MP sensor. This set-up allows for better depth perception, allowing the Max Pro M1 to deliver better bokeh effects.
The eponymous feature is, of course, its large 5,000 mAh battery. That is the battery capacity of most power banks, giving you up to 35 days of 4G standby and 42 hours of 3G talk time! It also allows you to play games for up to 12 hours, or watch up to 20 hours of YouTube videos.
Isn’t the ZenFone Max Pro M1 impressive? Especially when you realise ASUS fit all that into a smartphone that is only 180 g in weight!
ZB601KL vs. ZB602KL New!
There is some confusion about the model numbers. When the ASUS ZenFone Max Pro M1 first launched in India, it had the model number ZB601KL. Subsequently, ASUS started shipping the ZenFone Max Pro M1 as the ZB602KL in other countries. So what’s the difference?
We checked with ASUS, and they confirmed that ZB601KL is an India-specific model, while ZB602KL is the model that ship worldwide. Here are the differences, as far as we can ascertain.
- The main camera on the global model has f/2.0 lens, while the main camera on the Indian model has f/2.2 lens.
- The global model supports faster 4G LTE speeds – up to LTE Cat13 DL (400 Mbps) and LTE Cat5 UL (75 Mbps). The Indian model only supports LTE Cat4 – 150 Mbps DL, 50 Mbps UL.
- The global model may ship with earphones and/or a soft TPU bumper case, but the Indian model comes with a free ASUS Max-Box passive audio amplifier.
The other specifications of the ZB601KL and the ZB602KL are the same.
LTE + WiFi Capabilities New!
The ASUS ZenFone Max Pro M1 is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 whose X12 LTE modem is capable of :
- LTE Cat12 downlink speeds of up to 600 Mbps
- LTE Cat13 uplink speeds of up to 150 Mbps
- 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz) capability
However, ASUS has chosen to implement a limited set of those capabilities :
- Indian ZB601KL model : LTE Cat4 150 Mbps DL, 50 Mbps UL
- Global ZB602KL Version A model : LTE Cat4 150 Mbps DL, LTE Cat5 75 Mbps UL
- Global ZB602KL Version B model : LTE Cat13 400 Mbps DL, LTE Cat5 75 Mbps UL
- All Max Pro M1 models : 802.11b/g/n (2.4 GHz) only