Did giant tsunami waves hit the second Penang bridge – the Sultan Abdul Muadzam Shah Bridge? Find out what the facts really are!
Claim : Tsunami Waves Hit Second Penang Bridge At 6PM Yesterday!
A video claiming to show the Second Penang Bridge getting hit by giant tsunami waves, is going viral on social media.
Dramatically, a person appeared to be swept away by a giant wave, and a motorcyclist quickly fled another giant wave! Here is a video mash-up of two examples we found so far…
Did Tsunami Waves Hit Second Penang Bridge? Nope!
This is yet another example of fake news spreading like COVID-19 on social media.
The video is genuine, but it does NOT show giant tsunami waves hitting the Second Penang Bridge.
Fact #1 : This Bridge Is Too Small To Be Second Penang Bridge
In the main span, the Second Penang Bridge has a height clearance of 30 metres for ships to pass under. The bulk of the bridge has a much lower 6 metre clearance.
The Second Penang Bridge is also very wide – between 150 and 250 metres, with 4 car lanes and 2 motorcycle lanes.
The bridge in the video appears to be much shorter, with a 4 metre clearance; and much narrower with just 2 lanes.
Fact #2 : No Report Of Any Tsunami Affecting Penang
There has been no earthquakes nearby, or reports of any tsunami affecting Penang.
The waves appear to be approximately 12-15 metres high, and would have been big news. Yet there is no mention of it in the mainstream media? Very sus, no?
Fact #3 : This Is An Old Video
This video went viral earlier in July 2020, when it was posted as evidence of a tsunami hitting a bridge in Alaska after an earthquake there. However, that was false as well.
The earliest we could find was a December 2017 tweet by a CNBC-AWAAZ anchor, Deepali Rana, who claimed that it was a video of the Bandra-Worli Sea Link. That is also false!
Fact #4 : The Video Was Recorded On Minicoy Island
The video was recorded on 23 August 2017, showing giant waves hitting the Eastern Jetty at Minicoy Island (Maliku), in Lakshadweep, India.
Here is a picture of the Eastern Embarkation Jetty, with a surfer for size comparison.
- Fat Bidin : MySejahtera Mining Information From Our Phones!
- Nobel laureate Tasuku Honjo confident US created COVID-19?
- Fact Check : Amazing Robot Dancers At Shanghai Disneyland!
- Maradona : Donald Trump Mistook Him For Madonna?
- Scott Morrison : Did He Mistake Maradona For Madonna?
- Fact Check : HKL Preparing For 3K COVID-19 Cases A Day?
- Fact Check : Foreign Workers With Pink COVID-19 Bracelets?
- Fact Check : Is There Pork In OLDTOWN Curry Mee?
- RM399 Laguna Redang 3D2N Holiday : Bait & Switch Scam?
- Is Gadget Radiation Killing Kids Forced To Study At Home?
- CMCO : No Special Seating Or Face Mask In Your Own Car!
- Was This Driver FINED For Letting His Wife Sit Next To Him?
- Latest MySejahtera SOP For Petrol Stations : To Scan Or Not?
- RM4K Fine For Family Of 4 At Restaurant During CMCO?
- Scan MySejahtera At Petrol Station, Or Get Fined RM1K?
- Fact Check : Empty Shops In Johor Bahru Due To COVID?
- Fact Check : Malaysian Airline System (MAS) In Liquidation?
- Fact Check: RM1K CMCO Fine For Sitting Side By Side In Car!
- Fact Check : Is China Using Coffee To Cure COVID-19?
- Did A Ringing Phone Cause This Gas Stove Explosion?
- Elbow Pit Slapping For Heart Attack : Does It Work?
- Fact Check : Does The LPG Gas Tank Pressure Test Work?
- Face Mask Guide : The RIGHT Way To Wear + Remove!
- Fact Check : Science Supports Pig As Haram With Proofs?
- Fact Check: Changi Airport Passengers Must Wear PPE Suits?
- Higher RON Octane Rating Myth Debunked!
- Hand Sanitiser : Can It Set Your Car On Fire?
- Fact Check : Are There Two Sides To A Surgical Mask?
- COVID-19 : How To SAFELY Clean Your Mobile Devices!
- Face Mask vs COVID-19 : Should You Wear One?
Go Back To > Fact Checks | Home
Support Tech ARP!