Are the Western media covering up massive riots with looting and vandalism on the US West Coast?!
Take a look at the viral claim, and find out what the facts really are!
Claim : Western Media Are Covering Up Riots In US West Coast!
People are sharing a video of a recent riot in America, claiming that Western media is actively concealing the news.
Allegedly, only the Chinese media and netizens are exposing the riots on the US West Coast by releasing such videos to show the world how decadent and lawless the United States really is.
The viral video is often shared with comments like these :
Protests, vandalism and looting rage across the west coast of US on 31/5 and 1/6/22 but not reported by CNN & BBC . Also not by Singapore’s CNA
Lawlessness in the country supposed to be icon of justice
This is America
Truth : Western Media Are Not Covering Up Riots In US West Coast!
This is yet another example of FAKE NEWS created and propagated by the Chinese 50 Cent Army (wumao, 五毛), and pro-CCP netizens.
After investigating the viral video, here are the facts that I was able to ascertain…
Fact #1 : Video Was Recorded In Cleveland, Ohio
The viral video does not show riots in the US West Coast. I geolocated the precise location of this riot to East 4th Street (E 4th St.) in Cleveland, Ohio.
If you look closely at the video, you can spot these landmarks and their signboards :
- Butcher and the Brewer (Old-World Cuts and Hand-Built Brews)
- Windsor Apartments
- Mabel’s BBQ
- Society Lounge
- Zocalo Tequileria
- Flannery’s Pub
- Buckeye Apartments
Those landmarks allowed me to precisely geolocate the entire video to that one street – East 4th Street in Cleveland, Ohio.
Fact #2 : Ohio Is A Midwestern State, Near The East Coast
Ohio is an American Midwestern state. But despite that classification, it is actually located next to the Eastern seaboard.
It is most definitely not on the US West Coast, which comprises of the states of California, Oregon and Washington.
I have no idea why the wumao would lie about the riot happening on the US West Coast. Perhaps, it is the American region most familiar to Chinese netizens, since it is located next to the Pacific Ocean.
Fact #3 : Cleveland Riot Happened In 2020
The video does not depict a riot that happened on May 31 and June 1, 2022. It actually showed people rioting over the death of George Floyd on June 2, 2020 – two years ago.
Chinese netizens may not be aware, but people in the United States are allowed to participate in peaceful protests, like the 2020 protests against police brutality and racism, epitomised by George Floyd’s death.
But violent riots are against the law, and so 99 people were arrested in the 2020 Cleveland riots.
Fact #4 : There Are No Riots Happening On The US West Coast
Just in case Chinese netizens are “confused”, there are no riots happening on the US West Coast, at the end of May or early June 2022.
There are no acts of vandalism or looting raging across the US West Coast, which is precisely why there is ZERO COVERAGE of these riots.
No one is covering these riots because they did not happen. This is just Chinese disinformation using a legitimate video from two years ago.
Fact #5 : Western Media Covered The Cleveland Riots
Unlike in China, where the media is muzzled and “inappropriate news” are censored, Western media are under no such restrictions.
If there are riots in the United States right now, you can be sure they would be covering it. Bad news sells best, after all!
The truth is – the Western media covered the Cleveland riots extensively… when it happened in 2020! In fact, you can see a man who looks like a press photographer taking photos in the viral video.
Fact #6 : Video Is Part Of Wumao Disinformation
This isn’t the first real video being used in a wumao disinformation campaign, to drive the narrative that the United States is in a perpetual state of anarchy.
I have personally fact checked many videos and stories that were deliberately spread by the wumao as part of their disinformation campaign :
- Did This American Man Harass Chinese Female Tourists?!
- Did US Biolabs In Ukraine Create COVID-19 Virus?!
- Did Russia Shoot Down NATO Jets + Helicopters In Ukraine?!
- Did Russia Capture US Admiral Eric Olson In Azovstal?!
- Does US Have Biological Warfare Labs In South Korea?!
- CNN Reporter Caught Faking Chinese Translation On TV?!
- Did China Lock Down Shanghai To Spite US Over Ukraine?!
- Did Russia Capture Canadian General Cadieu In Azovstal?!
- Did Russia Capture US General Roger Cloutier In Azovstal?!
- Secret NATO Headquarters Under Azovstal Exposed?!
- Did US Refuse WHO Investigation Of Fort Detrick?!
- Was “Dead” Ukrainian Man Caught Waking Up On Live TV?!
- Jin Yut Lew : Was US Chef Attacked For Being Chinese?!
- Did Chinese Jamming Attacks Force US Navy To Withdraw?!
- Pfizer Forced To Release 9 Pages Of Vaccine Side Effects?!
- Did Western Countries Just Steal $600 Billion From Russia?!
So why are the Chinese 50 Cent Army (wumao, 五毛), and pro-CCP netizens promoting such videos and stories?
More importantly – why is the Chinese government spending money on such disinformation campaigns?
While you ponder on those questions, watch out and be wary of similar videos and stories being spread in Chinese and pro-CCP groups.
Please Support My Work!
Name : Adrian Wong
Bank Transfer : CIMB 7064555917 (Swift Code : CIBBMYKL)
Credit Card / Paypal : https://paypal.me/techarp
Dr. Adrian Wong has been writing about tech and science since 1997, even publishing a book with Prentice Hall called Breaking Through The BIOS Barrier (ISBN 978-0131455368) while in medical school.
He continues to devote countless hours every day writing about tech, medicine and science, in his pursuit of facts in a post-truth world.
- Did Sukma Athlete Stephanie Sim Die From Vaccine Stroke?
- Fact Check : Foods You Should Never Eat With Durian?!
- Did Ravens Linebacker Jaylon Ferguson Die From Vaccine?!
- Are MySejahtera 68808 SMS Messages A Scam?!
- Did NBA Star Caleb Swanigan Die From COVID-19 Vaccine?!
Go Back To > Fact Check | Photo + Video | Tech ARP