A video claiming that OLDTOWN White Coffee used pork in their curry mee has gone viral, leading to an official investigation by the authorities!
Find out what happened, and what the FACTS really are!
Viral Video : Pork In OLDTOWN Curry Mee?
In the video that went viral on Facebook and WhatsApp, a man accused OLDTOWN White Coffee of using pork in their curry mee.
He pokes at the red-coloured meat, and insists that they put in 5-6 slices of pork.
For our foreign readers who may not understand, pork is haram (forbidden) for Muslims.
KPDNHEP Investigates Claims Of Pork In OLDTOWN Curry Mee
The accusation is so serious in Malaysia, that the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs (KPDNHEP) launched an investigation.
Five KPDNHEP Selangor officers inspected the OLDTOWN White Coffee restaurant in Subang Jaya on 13 November 2020, and took samples of the alleged pork used in their curry mee.
Note that this officer is holding a packet of BBQ Chicken, and pointing at its halal stamp.
The Truth : There Is NO Pork In OLDTOWN Curry Mee!
Here is the short verdict on the viral video. It’s a FALSE ACCUSATION, and there is NO PORK in OLDTOWN White Coffee’s curry mee.
This is yet another viral video that has been proven to be FALSE, and here are the reasons why…
Reason #1 : JAKIM + KPDNHEP Confirmed The Claim As FALSE
After investigating the claim, both JAKIM and KPDNHEP confirmed that the claim in the video is false.
The meat used was chicken, not pork, as alleged by the man in the video.
JAKIM also warned the public not to make baseless accusations, while OLDTOWN is consulting their lawyers to determine if they should take action against those who made the false accusation.
Reason #2 : Char Siu Is Not Always Pork
It is likely that the man in the video mistook the red-coloured meat as char siu – barbecued pork.
However, char siu versions of other meats like chicken, beef and venison are available for Muslims, and those who prefer not to eat pork.
After all, the char siu seasoning is made from honey, five-spice powder, red fermented bean curd, dark soy sauce, hoisin sauce and red food colouring, and can be applied to most meats.
In fact, OLDTOWN White Coffee uses chicken char siu in their curry mee, which is clearly visible in their product shot :
Reason #3 : OLDTOWN White Coffee Is Halal-Certified
OLDTOWN White Coffee is a chain of halal-certified restaurants. That means they have to abide by these rules :
- Equipment used shall be free from najs, does not contain any hazardous materials and results in side effects to the products produced;
- Appliances / brushes from animal hair are not allowed;
- The arrangement of equipments and goods in the factory shall be neat, tidy and safe;
- Workers are not allowed to live in the premise compound. If it is necessary, living quarters for the workers shall be:
a. having separate entrance to the premise compound;
b. no direct passage way from the worker’s living quarters to the premise compound; and
c. there is a control mechanism on the movement in and out of workers.
- Non-halal food/ beverages are not allowed to be brought into the premise compound;
- The premise shall have an effective control system from premises that process/ prepare non-halal materials;
- All central kitchens and outlets for chain restaurants/ franchise/ food court shall apply for halal certification; and
- Liquor and materials sourced from liquor is strictly prohibited to be in the halal kitchen and hotel including the storage area.
While it is not necessary for Muslims to eat only from halal-certified restaurants, a valid Halal certificate means they undergo periodic inspections to ensure they follow the rules.
Reason #4 : Chicken Is Much CHEAPER Than Pork
One of our reader, Johari Jeffrey, points out that chicken is much cheaper than pork.
So it wouldn’t make sense for any business to substitute chicken for a more expensive meat like pork.
- RM399 Laguna Redang 3D2N Holiday : Bait & Switch Scam?
- Is Gadget Radiation Killing Kids Forced To Study At Home?
- CMCO : No Special Seating Or Face Mask In Your Own Car!
- Was This Driver FINED For Letting His Wife Sit Next To Him?
- Latest MySejahtera SOP For Petrol Stations : To Scan Or Not?
- RM4K Fine For Family Of 4 At Restaurant During CMCO?
- Scan MySejahtera At Petrol Station, Or Get Fined RM1K?
- Peninsular Malaysia : Official CMCO / PKPB SOP!
- Interstate Travel SOP For CMCO Areas In Peninsular Malaysia
- Fact Check : Empty Shops In Johor Bahru Due To COVID?
- Fact Check : Malaysian Airline System (MAS) In Liquidation?
- Fact Check: RM1K CMCO Fine For Sitting Side By Side In Car!
- MySejahtera / Logbook : Register Or Get Fined RM1,000!
- Fact Check : Is China Using Coffee To Cure COVID-19?
- Did A Ringing Phone Cause This Gas Stove Explosion?
- Elbow Pit Slapping For Heart Attack : Does It Work?
- Fact Check : Does The LPG Gas Tank Pressure Test Work?
- Face Mask Guide : The RIGHT Way To Wear + Remove!
- Did Fauci Write That Angry COVID-19 Post : How Dare You?
- Fact Check : Science Supports Pig As Haram With Proofs?
- Dexamethasone : Do NOT Self-Medicate Against COVID-19!
- Fact Check: Changi Airport Passengers Must Wear PPE Suits?
- Fact Check : Fridge Magnet Cancer Warning By Princeton Uni!
- Fact Check : Flower of the Holy Spirit – From Saint To Dove!
- Fact Check : Hand Sanitiser Catches Fire, Burns Woman!
- Higher RON Octane Rating Myth Debunked!
- Hand Sanitiser : Can It Set Your Car On Fire?
- Fact Check : Are There Two Sides To A Surgical Mask?
- COVID-19 : How To SAFELY Clean Your Mobile Devices!
- Face Mask vs COVID-19 : Should You Wear One?
Go Back To > Fact Check | Business | Home
Support Tech ARP!