A photo of HUAWEI CFO Meng Wanzhou being freed by the Canadian court is going viral on social media.
Check out the viral photo for yourself, and find out what the FACTS really are!
Claim : Meng Wanzhou Released By Canadian Court!
This photo and accompanying English translation of the Chinese message is going viral on social media.
Meng Wanzhou Released By Canadian Court? Here Are The Facts!
The picture is genuine, but the entire premise and claim are FALSE. Here are the facts…
Fact #1 : Meng Wanzhou Is Still Under House Arrest In Canada
As of 10 September 2020, Meng Wanzhou is still under house arrest in Canada, awaiting the reopening of her extradition case in late September 2020.
Just four days ago, Global Times – a Chinese state-run media outlet – reiterated the demand by Chinese ambassador to Canada that they release Meng Wanzhou to repair relations between their two countries.
Fact #2 : That Was A Staged Photo Op From May 2020
The photo being shared on social media is genuine, but it was from her staged photo op on 23 May 2020. As reported by CBC :
With a momentous court ruling that could deliver her freedom days away, Meng Wanzhou appeared to take a premature victory lap on the weekend, posing for pictures and flashing a thumbs-up on the steps of B.C. Supreme Court.
The Huawei executive took part in a staged downtown Vancouver photo shoot as security guards stood watch Saturday evening. She jumped out of a black SUV to take centre stage once a group of family and friends had arranged themselves in front of a photographer.
She took part in that staged photo op just before B.C. Supreme Court Associate Chief Justice Heather Holmes planned to announce her decision on double criminality, which could have ended the extradition process.
Days later, on 27 May 2020, Associate Chief Justice Heather Holmes ruled that the extradition case against Meng Wanzhou should proceed.
Fact #3 : They Were Not Removing Her Ankle Monitor
The photo that people were sharing as evidence that her ankle monitor was being removed was taken by Ben Nelms of CBC.
This was his description of the photo – Friends assist Meng with her GPS ankle monitoring bracelet as she prepares for photographs in front of the B.C. Supreme Court building.
NO, her ankle monitor was not being removed. Her friends was just helping her cover it up for the photo op.
She continues to wear a GPS ankle monitor, as part of the requirement for her house arrest while awaiting trial.
Fact #4 : She Is NOT Free To Return To China
The viral post claims that Meng Wanzhou is free to return to China in just 4 days at the latest. Sadly for her, that’s not true.
She remains under house arrest, and is unlikely to return to China soon as her extradition case will only take place in late September 2020.
Why Would Someone Create This Fake Story?
With China’s aggressive foreign stance in recent years, it is not uncommon to see such fake stories being created and shared.
Some believe it’s part of a concerted attempt to burnish China’s image overseas.
Others believe the many fake stories are being created to drown out the negative coverage of China’s controversial Belt and Road Initiative, and their aggressive moves in the South China Sea.
Whatever the reasons may be, it is our duty as global citizens to stop the proliferation of such fake stories.
Please share this debunking with your friends, so they know the truth!
- Fact Check : Chinese Robot Dancer @ Shanghai Disneyland!
- Kashi Mining Company : Fake Procurement Scam Alert!
- Fact Check: Somaliland Reps Wear Koteka To Taiwan Meeting!
- Fact Check : Correct Way To Wear Face Mask By GG Hospital
- Fact Check : Does The LPG Gas Tank Pressure Test Work?
- Fact Check : New Malaysia Face Mask SOP For Driving + Eating Out?
- Fact Check : Petronas Petrol Stations Cheat At The Pump?
- Fact Check : China Threatens West With Waterloo In SCS?
- Fact Check : Wear Face Mask In Car Or Get FINED RM1,000?
- Mark Zuckerberg Fact Check : My Wife China And Not Pretty
- Fact Check : US Navy Withdraws After Chinese Jamming?
- Fact Check : Wear A Face Mask In Car Or Get FINED RM1,000!
- Fact Check : Morgue Employee Cremated By Mistake?
- Fact Check : Did This Man Break His Home Quarantine?
- Home Quarantine Flouters : How Much Of A Risk Are They?
- Did Fauci Write That Angry COVID-19 Post : How Dare You?
- Fact Check : Malaysia Is Entering 3rd Wave Of COVID-19?
- Fact Check : Science Supports Pig As Haram With Proofs?
- Free Influenza Vaccine Expiring Soon : Should You Take It?
- Dexamethasone : Do NOT Self-Medicate Against COVID-19!
- Fact Check: Changi Airport Passengers Must Wear PPE Suits?
- Fact Check : Lincoln Memorial Defaced By BLM Protestors!
- George Floyd Challenge Exposed : Racist + Dangerous!
- GrabFood : How Burgertory Exposed Potential Discrimination!
- Fact Check : White House Lights Out With Trump In Bunker?
- Fact Check : White Cops Arrest Black Man, Finds He’s FBI!
- Fact Check : US Protestors Asking China For Help!
- Android Wallpaper Malware Explained + Solved!
- Fact Check : Flower of the Holy Spirit – From Saint To Dove!
- Fact Check : George Floyd Protestors Broke Into White House!
- Fact Check : Rev. Patrick Mahoney Hypocrisy On Protests
- THREE Fake CIMB Bank Call + SMS Scams!
- Hand Sanitiser : Can It Set Your Car On Fire?
- COVID-19 : How To SAFELY Clean Your Mobile Devices!
- Fact Check : Are There Two Sides To A Surgical Mask?
- Scam Alert : Fake PS4 Promotions On Facebook!
- Fact Check : Prolonged Use of Face Mask Causes Hypoxia!
- GrabPay Scam : Don’t Link Your Debit Card / Bank Account!
Go Back To > Fact Checks | Home
Support Tech ARP!