A video showing rows of empty shops in Johor Bahru has gone viral, showing how badly the economy has been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.
It was also accompanied by a warning that Singaporeans should not visit Johor Bahru because they will be targeted by desperate robbers.
Find out what’s going on, and what the facts really are!
Empty Shops In Johor Bahru Due To COVID-19?
In the video, the driver records himself driving past long rows of empty shops. There is no audio commentary, but it is often accompanied by claims that it was recorded in Johor Bahru or Kulai.
One message even warned that Singaporeans should not visit Johor Bahru because they will be targeted by desperate robbers there.
JB very sipeh jialat now 👇🏿👇🏿👇🏿…. most shops are advertising for sale or rental. Also, as advised by ICA Officers, even when the border is open to Singapore, Singaporeans shouldn’t rush in becoz there will many broad daylight robberies targeting Singaporeans.
Empty Shops In Johor Bahru Due To COVID-19? Bullshit!
Here are the reasons why this is yet another Internet hoax…
Reason #1 : Those Empty Shops Are In Kota Kemuning, Selangor
A close examination of the video will show that there are at least two occupied shops, and the one with the clearest signboard belonged to Optimus Business Solutions.
A quick check on Google Maps will reveal that Optimus Business Solution is located in the IP5 Business Park, Kota Kemuning, Shah Alam, Selangor.
Reason #2 : They Are New Shops @ Sinaria Tropicana Aman
The shops at IP5 Business Park, however, look different from the shops in the video.
Thanks to clues provided by Terrence Chin, we traced the shops to a new development called Sinaria Tropicana Aman, in Kota Kemuning South, Selangor.
The Sinaria Tropicana Aman shops definitely look exactly like those in the video.
We tried to call Optimus Business Solution to find out if they moved to Sinaria Tropicana Aman, but they were uncontactable, possibly due to the CMCO / PKPB lockdown.
Reason #3 : Businesses Need To Exist First To Close Down
Sinaria is a relatively new development that completed in 2019, and here is a Google Street View taken in August 2019.
At that time, it was completely empty, with no operational business. The presence of two RORO (Roll On, Roll Off) bins for renovation / construction waste, suggests that at least some renovation was undergoing.
The video appears to be taken after this Street View shot, with many banners and at least seven operational businesses visible.
This suggests that while uptake has been slow, at least some businesses have moved into Sinaria Tropicana Aman.
We also do not see any old signboards of businesses that have shut down.
If this was an older development blighted by COVID-19, you would see old signboards under the banners.
In other words, the streets were empty not because of COVID-19 lockdowns, but because the development is relatively new during a period of commercial real estate glut.
- Fact Check : Malaysian Airline System (MAS) In Liquidation?
- CMCO Roadblocks At Three PJ Highway Tolls In Effect!
- Fact Check: RM1K CMCO Fine For Sitting Side By Side In Car!
- MyGCC Debunks Old CMCO Cross-District Travel Info!
- Machines Mid Valley : Closed After COVID-19 Exposure!
- 1 Utama Mac City COVID-19 Infection : An Update!
- MySejahtera / Logbook : Register Or Get Fined RM1,000!
- COVID-19 Reality Check : 34.5 Million Infected, 1 Million Dead!
- IMR : D614G Mutation Found In All New COVID-19 Clusters!
- Fact Check : Is China Using Coffee To Cure COVID-19?
- Did A Ringing Phone Cause This Gas Stove Explosion?
- Elbow Pit Slapping For Heart Attack : Does It Work?
- Fact Check : Does The LPG Gas Tank Pressure Test Work?
- Face Mask Guide : The RIGHT Way To Wear + Remove!
- Did Fauci Write That Angry COVID-19 Post : How Dare You?
- Fact Check : Science Supports Pig As Haram With Proofs?
- Dexamethasone : Do NOT Self-Medicate Against COVID-19!
- Fact Check: Changi Airport Passengers Must Wear PPE Suits?
- Fact Check : Fridge Magnet Cancer Warning By Princeton Uni!
- Fact Check : Flower of the Holy Spirit – From Saint To Dove!
- COVID-19 : Release Patients Even If Positive After 14 Days?
- Fact Check : Hand Sanitiser Catches Fire, Burns Woman!
- Higher RON Octane Rating Myth Debunked!
- Hand Sanitiser : Can It Set Your Car On Fire?
- Fact Check : Are There Two Sides To A Surgical Mask?
- COVID-19 : How To SAFELY Clean Your Mobile Devices!
- Face Mask vs COVID-19 : Should You Wear One?
Go Back To > Fact Checks | Travel | Home
Support Tech ARP!
If you like our work, you can help support us by visiting our sponsors, participating in the Tech ARP Forums, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!