A video of HKL (Hospital Kuala Lumpur) preparing for 3,000 COVID-19 cases a day has gone viral!
Find out what happened, and what the facts really are!
Claim : HKL Preparing For 3K COVID-19 Cases A Day
A video showing beds and mattresses being unloaded at HKL (Hospital Kuala Lumpur / Kuala Lumpur General Hospital) has gone viral, because it’s accompanied by this message :
KL GH getting ready for massive spike of Covid infection cases, expecting around 3000 patients per day in the Klang Valley and KL..
HKL Preparing For 3K COVID-19 Cases A Day? Not Quite!
The video appears to be genuine and shows the unloading of beds and mattresses at HKL (also known as KL GH).
However, HKL is NOT preparing to take in 3,000 COVID-19 patients per day. Here are the facts…
Fact #1 : HKL COVID-19 Capacity Only Expanded By 151 Beds
On 14 November 2020, DG Health Dr. Noor Hisham Abdullah announced that COVID-19 patient capacity at HKL had just expanded by 151 beds.
Thanks to the contribution from NADMA (National Disaster Management Agency), the maternity block at HKL now has 358 beds for COVID-19 patients.
Fact #2 : HKL Only Has 831 Beds For COVID-19 Patients
As of 18 November 2020, HKL only has 831 beds for COVID-19 patients, after the recent expansion.
COVID-19 patients are quarantined at the hospital for 14 days. Therefore, HKL only has enough beds to accept an average of 59 new cases a day.
There is simply no way for HKL to accept 3,000 new COVID-19 patients a day, or even a month!
Fact #3 : Klang Valley Now Has 4,739 COVID-19 Beds
Due to the rapid increase in COVID-19 patients in the Klang Valley, KKM quickly ramped up the number of beds.
- Sungai Buloh Hospital – increased to 630 beds
- Kuala Lumpur Hospital – increased to 831 beds
- Cheras Rehabilitation Hospital – converted into COVID-19 hybrid hospital with 230 beds
- KKM Training Institute – 8 blocks reopened as Quarantine Centre with 2,400 beds
- National Leprosy Control Centre – continues as Quarantine Centre with 648 beds
As of 18 November 2020, there are 4,739 COVID-19 beds in the Klang Valley, up from just 345 beds on 1 October 2020.
Fact #4 : KKM Not Preparing To Handle 3,000 Cases A Day In Klang Valley
The massive 14X increase in COVID-19 beds still does NOT allow KKM to handle 3,000 new COVID-19 patients a day for the whole Klang Valley.
There are only enough beds to handle an average of 338 new COVID-19 patients a day, on a continuous basis.
If KKM was really expecting to handle 3,000 new COVID-19 patients a day, they would have prepared some 42,000 beds.
It appears that they currently do not believe that the Klang Valley will exceed 4,700 active cases at any point in time.
COVID-19 : How To Keep Safe!
Here are a few simple steps to stay safe from COVID-19 :
- Stay at home or shelter in place
- Keep your hands clean with soap or hand sanitiser
- Keep your home, office, vehicle, etc. clean
- If you must go out, maintain a social distance of 6 feet (2 metres)
- Wear a surgical mask and make sure you put it on and remove it properly!
- Wash your food with water (and soap) after purchase and before preparation
Recommended : Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
Recommended : Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
Recommended : COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables, Takeouts
- Fact Check : Foreign Workers With Pink COVID-19 Bracelets?
- Fact Check : Is There Pork In OLDTOWN Curry Mee?
- RM399 Laguna Redang 3D2N Holiday : Bait & Switch Scam?
- Is Gadget Radiation Killing Kids Forced To Study At Home?
- CMCO : No Special Seating Or Face Mask In Your Own Car!
- Was This Driver FINED For Letting His Wife Sit Next To Him?
- Latest MySejahtera SOP For Petrol Stations : To Scan Or Not?
- RM4K Fine For Family Of 4 At Restaurant During CMCO?
- Scan MySejahtera At Petrol Station, Or Get Fined RM1K?
- Peninsular Malaysia : Official CMCO / PKPB SOP!
- Interstate Travel SOP For CMCO Areas In Peninsular Malaysia
- Fact Check : Empty Shops In Johor Bahru Due To COVID?
- Fact Check : Malaysian Airline System (MAS) In Liquidation?
- Fact Check: RM1K CMCO Fine For Sitting Side By Side In Car!
- MySejahtera / Logbook : Register Or Get Fined RM1,000!
- Fact Check : Is China Using Coffee To Cure COVID-19?
- Did A Ringing Phone Cause This Gas Stove Explosion?
- Elbow Pit Slapping For Heart Attack : Does It Work?
- Fact Check : Does The LPG Gas Tank Pressure Test Work?
- Face Mask Guide : The RIGHT Way To Wear + Remove!
- Fact Check : Science Supports Pig As Haram With Proofs?
- Dexamethasone : Do NOT Self-Medicate Against COVID-19!
- Fact Check: Changi Airport Passengers Must Wear PPE Suits?
- Fact Check : Flower of the Holy Spirit – From Saint To Dove!
- Fact Check : Hand Sanitiser Catches Fire, Burns Woman!
- Higher RON Octane Rating Myth Debunked!
- Hand Sanitiser : Can It Set Your Car On Fire?
- Fact Check : Are There Two Sides To A Surgical Mask?
- COVID-19 : How To SAFELY Clean Your Mobile Devices!
- Face Mask vs COVID-19 : Should You Wear One?
Go Back To > Fact Checks | Home
Support Tech ARP!