Scammers are now targeting Malaysians with THREE fake CIMB Bank scams regarding online or credit card payments.
Please SHARE this scam alert with your family and friends, so they won’t get cheated!
THREE Fake CIMB Bank Call + SMS Scams!
Due to the COVID-19 lockdown, many Malaysians are now purchasing more online, and paying for those purchases with their credit cards.
This has attracted scammers who are now targeting both online purchasers and credit card users. In these new scams, they are pretending to be CIMB Bank.
Scam #1 : Credit Card Payment Authorisation
In this scam, the scammers used an automated call system with the number +113818415.
After you accept the call, a pre-recorded message will ask you to verify that you have just charged RM XXXX to your credit card, with these options :
- Press 1 to accept the charge to your credit card
- Press 2 to speak to a CIMB bank officer
Needless to say, when you opt to speak to a bank officer (fearing that you are a victim of a hacking attempt), the scammer will now convince you to transfer your money from your bank account to the bank’s account for “safe keeping”.
There is no such thing. Banks will NEVER ask you to transfer money out of your account. If they suspect fraud, they can simply disable your credit card, and deny payment to the merchant.
Scam #2 : Outstanding Credit Card Debt
In a different version of the first scam, the automated call system used a mobile number – +6012-22452090.
This time, the pre-recorded message will inform you that you owe RM XXXX on your CIMB Bank credit card.
Again, you will be offered the opportunity to speak with a CIMB Bank officer – the scammer – who will try to convince you to pay the money into a different account, or give him / her your login details.
A real bank officer will NEVER ask you to transfer money to a different bank account, or request for your login details. If you have outstanding credit card debt, the bank will just charge you interest on it.
Scam #3 : Online Purchase Warning
Happening concurrently with the scam calls is this CIMB Bank SMS scam campaign.
You may receive something like this, which looks like a genuine SMS from CIMB Bank informing you about a charge to your credit card.
Of course, the mobile number – +6013-688-1813 is a dead giveaway for those who are alert. But at a glance, it looks genuine enough.
If you call the scam number – 1800-81-9767, you will be connected to the scammer, who will then try to convince you to transfer money from your bank account to a CIMB Bank account for “safe keeping”.
Just like in the first scam example, no bank will ever ask you to transfer money out of your own bank account. Even if they suspect fraud, they can simply lock your account.
And again, if they suspect your credit card has been misused, they can simply disable your credit card, and deny payment to the merchant.
Warn Everyone About Bank Scams!
Such scams, whether they are from CIMB Bank or any other bank, has the potential to cost the victim A LOT OF MONEY.
So please warn your family and friends about these scams. Share this article as widely as possible.
And if you receive a similar call, please report it to Maybank, Bank Negara and the police.
Here are different bank scams that you may want to be alert about :
- Galaxy S20 Secure Processor : How It Protects Your Data!
- Hand Sanitiser : Can It Set Your Car On Fire?
- Fact Check : Are There Two Sides To A Surgical Mask?
- Scam Alert : Fake PS4 Promotions On Facebook!
- GrabPay Scam : Don’t Link Your Debit Card / Bank Account!
- Ransomware Warning : 1 in 3 Attacks Target Business Users!
- COVID-19 : How To SAFELY Clean Your Mobile Devices!
- Fact Check : Tasuku Honjo Bets Nobel Prize On China Creating COVID-19
- Fact Check : Prolonged Use of Face Mask Causes Hypoxia!
- Face Mask : The RIGHT Way To Wear + Remove!
- Fact Check : Tasuku Honjo Confident USA Created COVID-19!
- Fact Check : Fox News Hot Mic Leaks COVID-19 Hoax + Vaccine
- Fact Check : Empty Hospitals Prove COVID-19 Is Fake?
- How Malaysia Manages PPE Supply To Combat COVID-19
- Hydroxychloroquine Risk : Death From Cardiac Arrest!
- How Social Contact Spreads COVID-19 + Creates Clusters!
- Face Mask vs COVID-19 : Should You Wear One?
- China Just Sent Donald Trump These Face Shields!
- DIY Face Shield : An Easy Way To Make / Mass Produce!
- Is COVID-19 An Airborne Virus? Here Are The Facts!
- Can COVID-19 Spread Through Fruits & Vegetables?
- COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables, Takeouts
- Did The Chinese Use Tea To Cure COVID-19 In Wuhan?
- Chloroquine Poisoning : Do NOT Use It To Prevent COVID-19!
- Hand Sanitiser Alcohol Catching Fire : Hoax Debunked!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus : Why Snakes Are Not Hosts!
- Chloroquine Was NOT Approved By FDA To Treat COVID-19!
- COVID-19 Rapid Tests : What You Need To Know!
- COVID-19 Coronavirus Gargling Hoax Debunked!
- Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
- Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
- American Origin Of H1N1 Pandemic Hoax Debunked!
Go Back To > Cybersecurity | Home
Support Tech ARP!