Pictures of a Chinese Communist Revolution Monument in Penang are going viral.
Find out what’s going on, and what the facts really are!
Claim : Communist Monument In Penang Was Approved By DAP
This is the claim being shared on Facebook and social media, with our English translation :
Note : To avoid further abuse, we overlaid it with a MISLEADING warning.
Here is a selection of comments that were posted with that misleading picture, showing how it instigates hate and racial tensions :
Communist Revolution Monument In Penang : The Truth
The short version is this – the monument in the pictures exist, but the claims about it in the post above are all FALSE.
We would like to warn everyone to be careful of political fake news being shared to incite hatred and racial tensions.
Fact #1 : That Is The Penang Overseas Chinese Anti-War Memorial
The monument in the picture is the Penang Overseas Chinese Anti-War Memorial Park, also known as the Air Itam War Memorial Park.
It is NOT a Chinese Communist Revolution Monument.
There are two key monuments at this memorial park :
- a bronze-coloured army supply truck being pushed by three men – memorialising the Nanyang transport volunteers from Malaya, who helped deliver supplies to China when they were blocked by the Japanese.
- a 45-foot tall white obelisk that commemorates the Marco Polo Incident, that kicked off the Second Sino-Japanese War of 1937-1945.
The ashes of some 800 incomplete skeletons of Penang Chinese residents who died under Japanese occupation, and the Nanyang transport volunteers who died, are also buried under the obelisk.
Fact #2 : It Was Built In 1946 And Opened In 1951
Construction on the Penang Overseas Chinese Anti-War Memorial Park started in 1946, and it was officially opened in 1951.
DAP was only formed on 11 October 1965, so the claim that it was built when DAP gained power in Penang is false.
Because the People’s Republic of China was only established in 1949, the claim that this is a communist revolution monument is idiotic.
It is also extremely stupid to claim that the figures were dressed as Chinese Communists, because Communist China didn’t exist when the monument was being built!
Fact #3 : It Was Built By Private Funding
The original Penang Overseas Chinese Anti-War Memorial Park was funded entirely by the Penang China Relief Fund, a Penang-based private fundraising organisation.
It was officially opened at 11 AM on 11 November 1951 by Penang Chinese tycoon and philanthropist, Lim Lean Teng, who was the supervisory chairman of the organisation.
After the Penang China Relief Fund was dissolved in 1952, the Kong Min School was entrusted to maintain the memorial with an annual budget of $5,000, and an annual memorial service.
Fact #4 : It Was Upgraded For Its 60th Anniversary
The Board of Trustees of the Kong Min School decided to repair and upgrade the memorial to coincide with its 60th anniversary.
The RM 400,000 project also added a 60 foot-long wall relief showing Malayan transport volunteers on the Burma-China road, and a peace column with flying doves.
On top of private donations by various organisations and individuals, the Penang state government also chipped in.
When it was opened at precisely 11:11 AM on 11 November 2016 by Penang Chief Minister, Lim Guan Eng, politicians from both sides of the political divide attended the launch.
Therefore, the claim that no one knew about it, or that it was only something DAP would do, is categorically FALSE.
Fact #5 : There Is Information In FOUR Languages
The memorial park has information in four languages – English, Bahasa Melayu, Chinese and Japanese.
Here is the information panel in English and Bahasa Melayu, proving that the claim there is no information in both languages are FALSE.
- TikTok Caught Spying What We Type In Other Apps… TWICE!
- Fact Check : Science Supports Pig As Haram With Proofs?
- Free Influenza Vaccine Expiring Soon : Should You Take It?
- Dexamethasone : Do NOT Self-Medicate Against COVID-19!
- Fact Check: Changi Airport Passengers Must Wear PPE Suits?
- Fact Check : Lincoln Memorial Defaced By BLM Protestors!
- George Floyd Challenge Exposed : Racist + Dangerous!
- GrabFood : How Burgertory Exposed Potential Discrimination!
- Fact Check : White House Lights Out With Trump In Bunker?
- Fact Check : White Cops Arrest Black Man, Finds He’s FBI!
- Fact Check : US Protestors Asking China For Help!
- Android Wallpaper Malware Explained + Solved!
- Fact Check : Flower of the Holy Spirit – From Saint To Dove!
- Fact Check : George Floyd Protestors Broke Into White House!
- Fact Check : Rev. Patrick Mahoney Hypocrisy On Protests
- HUAWEI Receives World’s First CC EAL4+ Certificate For 5G!
- THREE Fake CIMB Bank Call + SMS Scams!
- Hand Sanitiser : Can It Set Your Car On Fire?
- Galaxy S20 Secure Processor : How It Protects Your Data!
- Samsung Pay Now Supports Boost e-Wallet!
- COVID-19 : How To SAFELY Clean Your Mobile Devices!
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra : An In-Depth Review!
- HUAWEI P40 Smartphones : What Apps Can You Install?
- Fact Check : Are There Two Sides To A Surgical Mask?
- Scam Alert : Fake PS4 Promotions On Facebook!
- Fact Check : Prolonged Use of Face Mask Causes Hypoxia!
- GrabPay Scam : Don’t Link Your Debit Card / Bank Account!
- Fact Check : Tasuku Honjo Bets Nobel Prize On China Creating COVID-19
- Fake CARES Act YouTube Video Perpetuates COVID-19 Hoax
- Fact Check : CARES Act (HR 748) Proves COVID-19 Plot!
- Fact Check : Tasuku Honjo Confident USA Created COVID-19!
- Acronis Cyber Protect : What Does It Offer?
Go Back To > Cybersecurity | Home
Support Tech ARP!