Will you get a RM 1,000 fine for sitting side by side in a car during the CMCO / PKPB lockdown?
Is a passenger supposed to sit behind the driver, for social distancing reasons, during the lockdown?
Take a look at the viral posts, and find out what the facts really are!
Claims : RM1K CMCO Fine For Sitting Side By Side In A Car!
This message is going viral on WhatsApp – evidence that a passenger just got fined RM 1,000 for sitting next to the driver during the CMCO lockdown!
Take a look at the message and picture of the police compound the driver allegedly received.
For those who prefer to read proper English instead of Manglish, here is our “translation” :
Note : We intentionally added the HOAX overlay to prevent the images from being further misused.
This second warning circulated later, with a voice message in Hokkien, claiming that the police issued his friend this compound for letting her daughter sit next to her.
RM1K CMCO Fine For Sitting Side By Side In Car : Bullshit!
This is yet another hoax, and here are the reasons why…
Fact #1 : Two Persons Are Allowed To Go Out Together
The Malaysian National Security Council (MKN) released these SOPs for three regions under CMCO / PKPB lockdown :
The three SOPs state clearly that two persons per household are allowed to go out together to purchase food and essentials.
Fact #2 : There Is No Limit On Commercial Vehicles
According to the MKN SOP, there is no new limit on vehicles carrying goods and providing essential services, including those involved in business and industrial activities.
The number of people in such vehicles are limited to what’s allowed by the commercial vehicle licence.
For example, if a delivery van is licensed for up to 3 people, then 3 people may sit together in that delivery van.
Fact #3 : Taxis + E-hailing Vehicles Are Limited To 2 Passengers
The MKN SOP specifically limits taxis and e-hailing vehicles to 2 passengers.
That means a total of 3 people are allowed in a car, and two of them will definitely be sitting side by side.
So it will not be logical for the police to issue a CMCO fine for people sitting side by side in any vehicle.
Fact #4 : No Requirement For A Passenger To Sit Behind The Driver
For the police to issue a fine, it must be specifically forbidden in the CMCO / PKPB SOP for two persons to sit side by side in a vehicle.
There is no such requirement in the CMCO / PKPB SOP, so it is not possible for the police to issue such a fine.
Fact #5 : That Man Was Fined For Not Socially Distancing In A Restaurant
My eagle-eyed friend, Jory, pointed out that the man was actually fined for not socially distancing himself in a restaurant.
We zoomed into the police compound, and we can see where the offence took place – Restoran Shada Maju.
A quick check on Google Maps gave us the address of this restaurant :
121, Jalan Tengku Badar, Port Klang, Selangor
And guess what was written at the upper right corner of the police compound? The very same address!
Under the MKN SOPs that were first issued, only two persons may sit at the same table if they are dining in a restaurant.
The police is empowered to issue a RM 1,000 fine to those who flout this social distancing rule during the CMCO period.
According to the compound, that was why this man was fined RM 1,000 on 14 October 2020 – the first day of the CMCO lockdown in Selangor.
Only on 15 October 2020 did Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob announce that larger tables in restaurants may seat up to 4 people at the same time.
Fact #6 : That Lady Was Fined For Not Wearing A Face Mask
The lady’s compound was not for letting her daughter sit next to her in the car, but rather – for not wearing a face mask outside an air-conditioning shop in Rawang Mutiara.
COVID-19 : How To Keep Safe!
Here are a few simple steps to stay safe from COVID-19 :
- Stay at home or shelter in place
- Keep your hands clean with soap or hand sanitiser
- Keep your home, office, vehicle, etc. clean
- If you must go out, maintain a social distance of 6 feet (2 metres)
- Wear a surgical mask and make sure you put it on and remove it properly!
- Wash your food with water (and soap) after purchase and before preparation
Recommended : Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
Recommended : Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
Recommended : COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables, Takeouts
- MyGCC Debunks Old CMCO Cross-District Travel Info!
- Machines Mid Valley : Closed After COVID-19 Exposure!
- 1 Utama Mac City COVID-19 Infection : An Update!
- MySejahtera / Logbook : Register Or Get Fined RM1,000!
- COVID-19 Reality Check : 34.5 Million Infected, 1 Million Dead!
- IMR : D614G Mutation Found In All New COVID-19 Clusters!
- Fact Check : Is China Using Coffee To Cure COVID-19?
- Did A Ringing Phone Cause This Gas Stove Explosion?
- Elbow Pit Slapping For Heart Attack : Does It Work?
- Fact Check : Does The LPG Gas Tank Pressure Test Work?
- Face Mask Guide : The RIGHT Way To Wear + Remove!
- Did Fauci Write That Angry COVID-19 Post : How Dare You?
- Fact Check : Science Supports Pig As Haram With Proofs?
- Dexamethasone : Do NOT Self-Medicate Against COVID-19!
- Fact Check: Changi Airport Passengers Must Wear PPE Suits?
- Fact Check : Fridge Magnet Cancer Warning By Princeton Uni!
- Fact Check : Flower of the Holy Spirit – From Saint To Dove!
- COVID-19 : Release Patients Even If Positive After 14 Days?
- Fact Check : Hand Sanitiser Catches Fire, Burns Woman!
- Higher RON Octane Rating Myth Debunked!
- Hand Sanitiser : Can It Set Your Car On Fire?
- Fact Check : Are There Two Sides To A Surgical Mask?
- COVID-19 : How To SAFELY Clean Your Mobile Devices!
- Fact Check : Tasuku Honjo Bets Nobel Prize On China Creating COVID-19
- Fact Check : Prolonged Use of Face Mask Causes Hypoxia!
- Hydroxychloroquine Risk : Death From Cardiac Arrest!
- How Social Contact Spreads COVID-19 + Creates Clusters!
- Face Mask vs COVID-19 : Should You Wear One?
- China Just Sent Donald Trump These Face Shields!
- DIY Face Shield : An Easy Way To Make / Mass Produce!
- Is COVID-19 An Airborne Virus? Here Are The Facts!
- Can COVID-19 Spread Through Fruits & Vegetables?
- COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables, Takeouts
Go Back To > Fact Checks | Travel | Home