You may have seen this car seating SOP for the CMCO / PKPKB lockdowns affecting various areas in Malaysia.
But is it legitimate? Will you get fined by the police if you do not follow this car seating SOP?
Claim : This Is The Car Seating SOP For CMCO / PKPB Lockdown
This WhatsApp message is being forwarded as a warning to everyone under CMCO / PKPB lockdown in Malaysia :
My sis was sitting in front car seat with her hubby this morning.
At the police checkpoint at Sri Petaling, they were told that no front passenger allowed n are being let off with a warning as passenger must sit at the back.
Pls take note
Note : We intentionally added the HOAX overlay to prevent the images from being further misused.
Car Seating SOP For CMCO / PKPB Lockdown : More Bullshit
This picture originally surfaced in May 2020 when the Malaysian government loosened COVID-19 lockdown measures, allowing two persons per car.
However, this is just another Internet hoax, because there is no such “social distancing” car seating SOP, and here are the reasons why…
Reason #1 : There Is No Such SOP
In the stricter MCO Phase 4, both persons must be family members staying in the same house, or a driver helping to send someone seeking healthcare or medical services.
In the looser October CMCO / PKPB lockdowns, two family members living together may travel in the same car, but there is no such restriction for commercial vehicles – they can fit as many people as they are licensed for.
In all cases, there is no requirement for special seating arrangements.
Reason #2 : The Seating Arrangement Is Pointless
The “social distancing” car seating arrangement is, frankly, pointless because the rules already limit personal vehicle use to members of the same family.
If one member of the family is infected, the rest of the family is far more likely to get infected at home than they would in the car.
It is also pointless in commercial vehicles, because the same workers work together and are in close contact long after they leave their vehicles.
That’s why you are not required to wear a face mask in private vehicles. Whether you are travelling with a family member or an office mate, you are already in close contact outside of that vehicle.
Such an arrangement is also pointless in taxis and e-hailing vehicles because everyone – driver and passengers – is required to wear face masks at all times.
Reason #3 : Air Circulates Within The Car
Unless you roll down the car’s windows, its air conditioning system will recirculate air and viral particles from any infected person throughout the cabin.
So it really doesn’t matter if you sit behind the driver, or sit next to the driver or another passenger.
This is why it is so important to wear a face mask, whenever you are in any indoor public space – and this includes sitting in a car or train or plane with strangers.
Reason #4 : People Keep Recreating This Fake Story
For some reason, Malaysians keep recreating the fake story of how they were warned or fined by the police for sitting side by side in their own cars.
They are now sharing police compounds for other offences as evidence that the police are issuing them for sitting side by side in a car.
But one thing rings true – no one actually admits to being the person who actually got fined for the offence. It was always “my friend / colleague / FB pal told me his friend kena“…
COVID-19 : How To Keep Safe!
Here are a few simple steps to stay safe from COVID-19 :
- Stay at home or shelter in place
- Keep your hands clean with soap or hand sanitiser
- Keep your home, office, vehicle, etc. clean
- If you must go out, maintain a social distance of 6 feet (2 metres)
- Wear a surgical mask and make sure you put it on and remove it properly!
- Wash your food with water (and soap) after purchase and before preparation
Recommended : Soap vs Sanitiser : Which Works Better Against COVID-19?
Recommended : Surgical Mask : How To CORRECTLY Wear + Remove!
Recommended : COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables, Takeouts
- Face Mask Guide : The RIGHT Way To Wear + Remove!
- Fact Check: RM1K CMCO Fine For Sitting Side By Side In Car!
- MyGCC Debunks Old CMCO Cross-District Travel Info!
- Machines Mid Valley : Closed After COVID-19 Exposure!
- 1 Utama Mac City COVID-19 Infection : An Update!
- MySejahtera / Logbook : Register Or Get Fined RM1,000!
- COVID-19 Reality Check : 34.5 Million Infected, 1 Million Dead!
- IMR : D614G Mutation Found In All New COVID-19 Clusters!
- Fact Check : Is China Using Coffee To Cure COVID-19?
- Did A Ringing Phone Cause This Gas Stove Explosion?
- Elbow Pit Slapping For Heart Attack : Does It Work?
- Fact Check : Does The LPG Gas Tank Pressure Test Work?
- Did Fauci Write That Angry COVID-19 Post : How Dare You?
- Fact Check : Science Supports Pig As Haram With Proofs?
- Dexamethasone : Do NOT Self-Medicate Against COVID-19!
- Fact Check: Changi Airport Passengers Must Wear PPE Suits?
- Fact Check : Fridge Magnet Cancer Warning By Princeton Uni!
- Fact Check : Flower of the Holy Spirit – From Saint To Dove!
- COVID-19 : Release Patients Even If Positive After 14 Days?
- Fact Check : Hand Sanitiser Catches Fire, Burns Woman!
- Higher RON Octane Rating Myth Debunked!
- Hand Sanitiser : Can It Set Your Car On Fire?
- Fact Check : Are There Two Sides To A Surgical Mask?
- COVID-19 : How To SAFELY Clean Your Mobile Devices!
- Fact Check : Tasuku Honjo Bets Nobel Prize On China Creating COVID-19
- Fact Check : Prolonged Use of Face Mask Causes Hypoxia!
- Hydroxychloroquine Risk : Death From Cardiac Arrest!
- How Social Contact Spreads COVID-19 + Creates Clusters!
- Face Mask vs COVID-19 : Should You Wear One?
- China Just Sent Donald Trump These Face Shields!
- DIY Face Shield : An Easy Way To Make / Mass Produce!
- Is COVID-19 An Airborne Virus? Here Are The Facts!
- Can COVID-19 Spread Through Fruits & Vegetables?
- COVID-19 Food Safety : Fruits, Vegetables, Takeouts
Go Back To > Fact Checks | Travel | Home