Should you laminate official documents? Or will that invalidate or destroy those documents?
We take a look at this sticky issue, and find out what the facts really are!
Claim : It Is Illegal To Laminate Official Documents!
The availability of cheap heat lamination machines and plastic lamination film make it easy for many people to laminate their official documents against damage.
However, this viral message on social media is warning people that laminating your official documents could invalidate them!
Don’t laminate all official documents
Please inform your aunts, uncles, fathers and relatives or acquaintances …etc
All official documents including birth certificates must not be laminated because it is difficult to know the authenticity of the document, the act will lose its authenticity.
Please use a transparent file holder to store all official documents or certificates. Avoid lamination.
The guy who shared this info, had to apply for fresh title for his land all because he laminated it. Once laminated, considered spoiled or damaged by Government.
Beware! Avoid unnecessary hassle.
Is It Wrong To Laminate Official Documents? It Depends!
Many people laminate their official documents to protect them against damage, but generally, you should NEVER laminate your official documents.
You should only laminate them, when required under certain circumstances.
Here are the facts to help you determine when you should, or should not, laminate your official documents.
Fact #1 : Official Documents Should Not Be Altered In Any Way
You should never alter official documents like birth / death / divorce / marriage certificates, or vehicle / business / property registrations in any way.
This includes gluing them onto cardboard, punching holes in them for filing, or marking on them with a pen.
Fact #2 : Laminating Documents Could Invalidate Them!
Many official documents have embossed security seals and stamps to help prove their authenticity.
When you laminate such documents, the embossed seals and stamps are flattened by the heat and pressure of the lamination process.
This may invalidate those documents, effectively destroying their legal status.
In 2016, a Canadian man was denied a passport because he laminated his Certificate of Canadian Citizenship. He had to secure a new certificate.
Fact #3 : Laminated Documents Are Harder To Scan / Photocopy
Some official documents may come with a QR code, or bar code, imprinted as a security / validation measure.
Once laminated, the reflective plastic surface makes it harder to scan the QR or bar code, as well as to scan or make a photocopy.
Fact #4 : Lamination Films Adhesive May Damage Documents
Many plastic lamination films have an adhesive layer to ensure proper sticking to the paper.
This adhesive increases the risk of tearing if you attempt to delaminate the documents. It could also damage your documents, turning them yellow over time.
Fact #5 : You May Be Required To Laminate Certain Documents
The authorities may require you to laminate your official documents in certain cases. For example, the registration of the birth of a child to a Malaysian parent in Singapore requires a Singapore birth certificate that must be laminated.
To avoid damage to the official document that must be laminated, you can try placing it inside a clear, non-adhesive plastic sleeve, before laminating it.
This would prevent the adhesive from making contact with your document, and allow you to delaminate it without tearing.
- Malaysia COVID-19 Vaccine Plan : 30 March 2021 Edition!
- FREE + PAID Private COVID-19 Vaccines Coming Soon!
- UK Government Report On Pfizer Vaccine Adverse Reactions?
- Realme Caught Using iPhone To Demo narzo 30A Gaming?
- Can You Take Painkillers Before / After COVID-19 Vaccination?
- Did This Doctor Die From Painkiller After COVID Vaccination?
- Get 50% Off PDRM Fines Using MyBayar Saman!
- Must Foreigners In Malaysia Carry Passport At All Times?
- Public Bank : More Fake SMS Scams! Do NOT Click / Call!
- HUAWEI MateStation S : Why It’s Perfect For WFH!
- How To Register Your Maid For COVID-19 Vaccine!
- Act 342 Offences : COVID-19 Fines, Discounts + FAQ!
- Did NYT Rank 4 Chinese Vaccines As Safest In The World?
- How To Register For COVID-19 Vaccination On MySejahtera!
- Was Pfizer Vaccine Designed To Make COVID-19 Endemic?
- CoronaVac Vaccine By Sinovac : Your Questions Answered!
- CEM014 Eggs : Cook Properly Or Return Them!
- Scam Alert : Remote Control Electricity Saver!
- COVID-19 Vaccine : Which Should YOU Choose?
- Dr Clo Disinfectant Sticks : Do They Work Against COVID-19?
- Face Mask Guide : The RIGHT Way To Wear + Remove!
- Fact Check : Are There Two Sides To A Surgical Mask?
- COVID-19 : How To SAFELY Clean Your Mobile Devices!
- Face Mask vs COVID-19 : Should You Wear One?
Go Back To > Home Tech | Fact Check | Home