The Red Dead Redemption 2 Troubleshooting Guide will help you fix the many problems that gamers will face trying to play the new AAA title from Rockstar Games!
The Red Dead Redemption 2 Troubleshooting Guide!
Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC, one of the most promising AAA title of Q4 2019, has been wracked by severe launch issues.
In this guide, we will take a look at the biggest problems facing gamers trying to play Red Dead Redemption 2, and share with you the solutions!
Red Dead Redemption 2 PC : What’s New?
Red Dead Redemption 2 was one of the best selling games in 2018, and the PC edition with enhanced graphics, uncapped frame rates, new content and a raft of enhancements has just been released!
- Improved graphics, including support for 4K, HDR and higher frame rates!
- Three new Bounty Hunter missions!
- Two new Gang Hideouts!
- Four new weapons for Story Mode!
- Two new treasure maps!
- Four new horses, and three new wild horse variants!
- Five new trinkets with new effects!
- New photo mode!
Recommended : Red Dead Redemption 2 PC : What You Need To Know!
Here are some online purchase options for PS4 and Xbox One :
- US : PS4 | PS4 55 Gold Bars | Xbox One Special Edition | Xbox One Ultimate Edition
- UK : PS4 | PS4 Ultimate Edition | PS4 55 Gold Bars | Xbox One Special Edition
- AU : PS4 | PS4 Special Edition | Xbox One
- MY : PS4 | PS4 Special Edition | Xbox One
- SG : PS4 | Xbox One
Here are the online purchase options for PC :
We will have more PC purchase links up shortly.
Red Dead Redemption 2 : Known Problems
Here is the current list of known problems with Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC :
- Rockstar Games Launcher fails to initialise, with this error message
The Rockstar Games Launcher failed to initialize
- Rockstar Games Launcher gets stuck decrypting preloaded files.
- Rockstar Games Launcher crashes when you attempt to launch Red Dead Redemption 2, with this error message :
The Rockstar Games Launcher exited unexpectedly
- Rockstar Games Launcher crashes when being launched from Epic Games Launcher
- Rockstar Games Launch refuses to launch Red Dead Redemption 2, when initiated from Epic Games Launcher, with this error message
Unable to launch game, please verify your game data
- Rockstar Games Launcher refuses to launch Red Dead Redemption 2, with the error message :
- Red Dead Redemption 2 crashes with this error message :
Red Dead Redemption 2 exited unexpectedly
- Stuttering or freezing during game play due to CPU maxing out
- Sudden drop in frame rate (fps) during game play
Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Solution Guide
Solution #1 : Update Your Graphics Card Driver
As we pointed out in an article we posted earlier, make sure you update your graphics driver :
- AMD : Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 19.11.1 or newer
- NVIDIA : GeForce Game Ready Driver 441.12 or newer
Recommended : Red Dead Redemption 2 : Use These AMD + NVIDIA Drivers!
Solution #2 : Disable Antivirus or Add To Whitelist / Exemption List
Antivirus software are apparently causing RDR2 to crash, especially during the intro / shotgun scene.
Either disable your antivirus software temporarily (not really advisable), or add Red Dead Redemption 2 to its whitelist or exemption list.
Solution #3 : Update The Rockstar Games Launcher
Rockstar just issued a v1.09.164 update to fix the many issues this buggy launcher was causing :
- Close any running Rockstar game
- Close the Rockstar Games Launcher
- Restart the Rockstar Games Launcher, and let it update to v1.09.164 or newer
Solution #4 : Logging Out And Back Into Rockstar Games Launcher
The Activation Required error can apparently be solved by simply logging out of the Rockstar Games Launcher, and logging back in again.
Solution #5 : Clear The Rockstar Games Launch Profile Cache
But in certain situations, if logging out and back in again fails, you will need to clear your local profile cache :
- In Rockstar Games Launcher, go to Settings > Account Information
- Select Delete Local Profile (This will only delete the local cache. It will not delete your Social Club account or saved games)
- Select Confirm
- Sign into the Rockstar Games Launcher again
Solution #6 : Reduce Number Of CPU Cores
Red Dead Redemption 2 is apparently hogging the CPU, causing stuttering or freezing. A temporary workaround has been suggested – reduce the number of CPU cores it can use :
- Right click on RDR2.exe in Windows Explorer
- In the drop-down list, select Set Affinity
- You will a list of available CPU cores. Uncheck one or two cores.
Solution #7 : Switch To DirectX 12
Generally, Vulkan will offer significantly better performance than DirectX 12. Where possible, you should enable Vulkan, instead of DirectX 12.
However, if you notice sudden drops in frame rate, try switching from Vulkan to DirectX 12. This will likely get fixed in a future graphics card driver.
Solution #8 : Lower The Graphics Settings
Rockstar appears to be overly optimistic about the system requirements of RDR2. NVIDIA ran their own benchmarks, and recommended these cards for 60 fps gaming instead :
- 4K (Medium High) : GeForce RTX 2080 Ti or better
- 1440p (Ultra) : GeForce RTX 2080 Ti or better
- 1440p (High) : GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER or GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER
- 1080p (Ultra) : GeForce RTX 2070 / GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER or better
- 1080p (High) : GeForce RTX 2060 or better
So, if you are getting low frame rates, reduce the graphics settings. In particular, volumetric graphics and water quality settings.
- Red Dead Redemption 2 PC : What You Need To Know!
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider Definitive Edition : Get It Now!
- Red Dead Redemption 2 : Use These AMD + NVIDIA Drivers!
- Cosmic Pioneer : Find Out How To Get It FREE!
- Tomb Joe : Find Out How To Get It FREE!
- DashBored : Find Out How To Get It FREE Now!
- How To Enable NVIDIA NULL For G-SYNC Monitors Correctly!
- Learn How To Add ReShade Filters To GeForce Experience!
- Costume Quest : Find Out How To Get It FREE!
- SOMA From Frictional Games Is FREE For A Limited Time!
- GALAX GeForce GTX 1660 Super Graphics Card Review!
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX SUPER : Everything You Need To Know!
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER : The Full Details!
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER : The Full Details!
- The Sun Never Sets – How To Get This Game For FREE!
- Saints Row : The Third – Tricks And Treats Pack Is FREE!
- 1914 : Prelude to Chaos – How To Get It FREE!
- Level Up KL 2019 Biz + Play : Full Details Revealed!
- HyperX Alloy FPS Pro Mechanical TKL Keyboard Review!
- FREE Borderlands 3 Bloody Harvest Details + Trailer!
- Acer Predator Helios 700 Gaming Laptop Preview!
Go Back To > Games + Gaming | Computer | Home