Can Mobile Phone Spark Stove Fire / Explosion?!

Can our mobile phone spark a gas stove fire or explosion?!

Take a look at the viral video, and find out what the facts really are!


Claim : Mobile Phone Can Spark Stove Fire / Explosion!

People are sharing this video on WhatsApp and social media, warning that our mobile phone can spark a gas stove fire or explosion!

This video shows an Indian lady using her mobile phone in her kitchen. She places a pot on the stove, and proceeds to turn on the gas.

You can see the stove light up and suddenly, the Indian lady is on fire and does two pirouettes before falling to the ground.

I have no idea who actually created the video, but it has two Symcon Foundation logos, and the narrator mentions the Symcon Foundation in Mysore, India as well.

Read more : Did A Ringing Phone Cause This Gas Stove Explosion?


Truth : Mobile Phone Cannot Spark Stove Fire / Explosion!

This is yet another mobile phone causes gas stove fire / explosion hoax, and here are the reasons why…

Fact #1 : It Won’t Happen Without A Gas Leak / Defective Gas Tank

A gas explosion cannot happen without a gas leak, or a defective gas tank.

Even if you are holding a sparkler or a candle with an open flame, turning on the gas stove won’t set you afire, because… LGP gas is heavier than air!

Liquified petroleum gas (LPG) is a mix of butane and propane gas. Butane is just over 2X heavier than air, while propane is a little over 1.5X heavier than air.

As long as the sparks or open flame is higher than the gas source, it won’t set the stove on fire if you just turn on the gas.

For there to be an explosion, there has to be a gas leak as significant amounts of gas has to leak before it becomes combustible.

Fact #2 : Our Mobile Phone Don’t Create Sparks

Even if there is a gas leak, using a mobile phone won’t spark a fire or explosion, as the mobile phone does not create sparks during use or when it rings.

The electrodynamic speakers in your phone vibrate to produce sound waves. They do not generate sparks.

Think about it – how popular would mobile phones be if their speakers emitted sparks into our ears?

Without a source of sparks or an open flame, it is not possible for your mobile phone to spark any fire or explosion.

Recommended : Did Phone In Pocket Catch Fire After Man Farted?!

Fact #3 : Authorities Confirm Mobile Phone Do Not Pose Fire Hazard

The US FCC, US NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) and the Petroleum Equipment Institute have all confirmed that mobile phones do not pose a fire hazard.

US FCC : In these stories, a fire was reportedly ignited or an explosion occurred when an individual’s phone rang and was answered. Supposedly, an electrical spark from the phone ignited the fires or caused the explosion. These reports are not supported by any documentation that the fire and/or explosion was caused by the wireless phone – or that the incidents even occurred.

US NFPA : The wireless industry has done studies on the potential for wireless phones to create sparks that could possibly ignite flammable materials. The studies generally conclude that while it may be theoretically possible for a spark from a cell phone battery to ignite gas vapor under very precise conditions, there is no documented incident where the use of a wireless phone was found to cause a fire or explosion…

Fact #4 : Static Is The Real Hidden Danger

Fire incidences blamed on mobile phones can often, if not always, be traced back to static electricity.

Our bodies can get “charged” with static electricity, if we wear rubber-soled shoes or slippers. Or when we walk on a rug. The risk increases when the air is cold and/or dry. The lower the humidity, the higher the voltage of a static discharge.

Sparks are created when an electrostatic discharge occurs – this is what causes the petrol station fires that people blame on mobile phones. Similarly, static electricity in your kitchen can create sparks that may ignite if there is a gas leak in the kitchen.


No Risk, But Bad Idea To Use Mobile Phone In Kitchen!

While your mobile phone will not spark fires, you should still avoid using it whenever you’re in your kitchen, or even at the petrol station.

Using your phone at the petrol station or kitchen is dangerous because it can distract you from dangers in an environment with flammable liquids.

It’s really the same reason why you are not allowed to use a mobile phone while driving. Your mobile phone may not cause your car to explode, but you could get distracted and cause an accident!


Please Support My Work!

Support my work through a bank transfer /  PayPal / credit card!

Name : Adrian Wong
Bank Transfer : CIMB 7064555917 (Swift Code : CIBBMYKL)
Credit Card / Paypal :

Dr. Adrian Wong has been writing about tech and science since 1997, even publishing a book with Prentice Hall called Breaking Through The BIOS Barrier (ISBN 978-0131455368) while in medical school.

He continues to devote countless hours every day writing about tech, medicine and science, in his pursuit of facts in a post-truth world.


Recommended Reading

Go Back To > ScienceFact Checks | Tech ARP


Support Tech ARP!

Please support us by visiting our sponsors, participating in the Tech ARP Forums, or donating to our fund. Thank you!

Leave a ReplyCancel reply