Page 3 : IBM Watson Q&A Part 2/2
The IBM Watson Q&A Part 2/2
- It was mentioned that Watson is capable of self-learning and improvements, can you explain more how this system works?
- What makes Watson truly unique from pre-programmed AI is that Watson is capable of consistently learning from user input as well as correct itself to provide better answers to human queries.
- Watson does this by undergoing a constant feedback loop with human input that involves correction of errors in order to determine the most appropriate answer that is based on the context of the question.
- What is the vision that IBM has for Watson and what is IBM currently doing to ensure that they can achieve this vision?
- Our vision for IBM Watson is to develop it into a full-fledged platform that is capable of making a real impact in any industry it is applied in.
- We are also focused on developing Watson as an Artificial Specific Intelligence, also known as narrow AI, that is specifically focused on relevant knowledge in its required field of expertise to ensure that they can respond in the same way professionals do.
- We are currently actively working with professionals in the field as well as expanding the capabilities of Watson in order to ensure Watson is able to reach out to over 1 billion consumers by the end of 2017.
- Can you explain more about the term ‘machine learning’?
- Machine learning can be defined as AI system that possesses the ability to learn without requiring constant programming.
- Programs with machine learning systems are able to make use of most forms of new data it is exposed to develop and improve responses or solutions.
- In future, AI systems will be able to understand more complex data while also delivering more accurate results compared to humans. This could allow future machines to be more autonomous while also handling challenging tasks that normal humans cannot do.
- In order to implement Watson, are developers required to pay a certain fee in order to utilize related assets and data?
- No, interested developers who want to make use of the Watson platform to create their own cognitive apps or businesses can do so from the public Watson Developer Cloud and other platforms.
- Our cloud platform represents the easiest way for potential developers to create their next-gen cognitive apps with a total of over 160 unique APIs and services in 179 countries.
- Does IBM foresee a drop in openings for jobs that Watson is able to perform given his increasing capabilities for complex tasks?
- With every major advancement in technology, there will always be a change to the existing workforce where there will be new ways of working as well as new skills and jobs that will be in greater demand. This is the same case as well for cognitive computing.
- Despite this, we believe that Watson and the field of cognitive computing will instead introduce a whole new level of collaboration between man and machine, and serve to expand human intelligence instead of replacing it.
- We believe that by thoughtfully and purposefully combining the best qualities of both man and machine, we can understand our world better as well make better decisions that can lead to future innovations.
- What does IBM foresee will change in the landscape of cognitive computing?
- We foresee that cognitive computing in the coming years will continue to make huge advancements in technology that will make our systems even smarter.
- Through continuous human interactions, these systems will be able to learn at a much greater rate and continuously learn up to the point where they can fully run without human intervention.
- As cognitive systems continue to be refined, we can also expect these systems to tackle an even broader range of tasks that even humans may not be able to do.
- How has IBM globally performed financially in the past year of 2016?
- 2016 was another solid year for IBM as we have achieved several milestones in the year.
- Aside from working some of the world’s largest most well-known companies across industries, we have also invested into our capabilities such as cloud, analytics and cognitive that has now accounted for 41% of our total revenue.
- We have also not lost sight of our goal of developing innovations in 2016 with over 8,000 patents registered in 2016 and we are currently leading in terms of U.S. patents earned for the 24th year in a row.
- What are some of the upcoming plans that IBM have in the year of 2017?
- In the coming year, we are looking to continue our research into our field of expertise for designing and developing innovative new systems that can enhance our client’s business and help them succeed in their field.
- We have some projects in Malaysia in the banking, manufacturing and healthcare industries.
Go Back To > First Page | Events | Home