Here is EVERYTHING you need to know about the new Ryzen Eco-Mode for 3rd Gen Ryzen processors!
Find out when, how and why you should enable or disable the Ryzen Eco-Mode!
Updated @ 2019-11-17 : Added a guide on enabling PBO in the BIOS, and updated the article in general.
Updated @ 2019-11-09 : Added Robert Hallock’s video on Ryzen Eco-Mode, and a compatibility list.
Originally posted @ 2019-11-07
The New 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen Eco-Mode
AMD Senior Technical Marketing Manager, Robert Hallock, gives us a quick primer in this video.
What Eco-Mode does is lower the 3rd Gen Ryzen processor’s TDP by one step :
- 105 W and 95 W processors will be limited to 65 W
- 65 W processors will be limited to 45 W
The 3rd Gen Ryzen processor will manage core voltage and frequency automatically to keep to the new reduced power level.
Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO), Automatic Overclocking (AOC) and manual overclocking will be disabled when Eco-Mode is enabled.
Impact Of Ryzen Eco-Mode
Enabling Eco-Mode naturally impacts the processor’s performance, but greatly reduces its power consumption with a significant drop in CPU temperature.
AMD shared this chart with us, comparing the performance of the new Ryzen 9 3950X, with and without Eco-Mode turned on.
With a 38% lower TDP, the AMD Ryzen 9 3950X used 44% less power and ran 7°C cooler. On the downside, it was 23% slower.
However, it offers those on a limited TDP budget the option of using a CPU with more cores than would normally be possible.
Ryzen Eco-Mode Use Case
According to AMD Desktop Processor Technical Marketing Manager, Don Woligroski, Eco-Mode is best used by those who want to run high-end 3rd Gen Ryzen processors in Small Form Factor (SFF) PCs, NAS, Plex boxes, etc.
It will allow them to enjoy the performance of 12 or 16 cores, without worrying about overloading the SFF power supply, or excessive heat accumulating in the small chassis.
It can also be used to trade off Ryzen processor power for more graphics card power, if there is limited power at the system level.
Since it can be applied on-the-fly, you can also use it to greatly reduce power consumption and thermal output when you are not using your high-performance Ryzen system for strenuous work.
And when you need processing power, you can instantly turn it into a high-performance gaming or content creation system with a simple switch!
How To Enable / Disable Ryzen Eco-Mode
Ryzen Eco-Mode will NOT appear until PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) is enabled in the BIOS, so before you begin, check and make sure PBO has been enabled in the BIOS.
- Download and install AMD Ryzen Master 2.0, or newer.
- Select one of the four profiles to edit and use.
- Under Control Mode, select ECO-Mode.
- Click the Apply button at the bottom to activate Eco-Mode immediately.
- The processor will immediately manage its core voltages and frequencies to achieve the lower power target.
- To disable Eco-Mode, just select one of the four other control modes – Default, Precision Boost Overdrive, Auto Overclocking or Manual.
- Click the Apply button to disable Eco-Mode, and activate the selected control mode.
There Is No Eco-Mode Option In Ryzen Master!
If you do not see the Eco-Mode option in Ryzen Master, that’s because PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) is disabled in the BIOS.
- Reboot your computer, and go into BIOS setup
- Look for the PBO (Precision Boost Overdrive) option, which may be hidden under overclocking options
- It will generally be set to Auto by default.
- Switch that to Enabled.
- Save the change, and reboot your computer.
After doing this, Eco-Mode will appear in Ryzen Master.
Ryzen Eco-Mode Compatibility
For your convenience, here is a table to show you what processors will support Ryzen Eco-Mode :
|Processor Family||Models||Ryzen Eco-Mode|
|Threadripper 3000-Series CPU||Threadripper 3970X
|Ryzen 3000-Series CPU||Ryzen 9 3950X
Ryzen 9 3900X
Ryzen 7 3800X
Ryzen 7 3700X
Ryzen 7 3700
Ryzen 5 3600X
Ryzen 5 3600
Ryzen 5 3500X
|Ryzen 3000-Series APU||Ryzen 7 3780U
Ryzen 7 3750H
Ryzen 7 3700U
Ryzen 5 3580U
Ryzen 5 3550H
Ryzen 5 3500U
Ryzen 5 3400G
Ryzen 5 3400GE
Ryzen 3 3300U
Ryzen 3 3200G
Ryzen 3 3200GE
Ryzen 3 3200U
|Athlon 3000-Series APU||Athlon 3000G||No|
|Athlon 300-Series APU||Athlon 300G
|Threadripper 2000-Series CPU||Threadripper 2990WX
|Ryzen 2000-Series CPU|| Ryzen 7 2700X
Ryzen 7 2700
Ryzen 7 2700E
Ryzen 5 2600X
Ryzen 5 2600
Ryzen 5 2600E
Ryzen 5 2500X
Ryzen 3 2300X
|Ryzen 2000-Series APU||Ryzen 7 2800H
Ryzen 7 2700U
Ryzen 5 2600H
Ryzen 5 2500U
Ryzen 5 2400G
Ryzen 5 2400GE
Ryzen 3 2200G
Ryzen 3 2300U
|Athlon 200-Series APU||Athlon 240GE
|Threadripper 1000-Series CPU||Threadripper 1950X
|Ryzen 1000-Series CPU||Ryzen 7 1800X
Ryzen 7 1700X
Ryzen 7 1700
Ryzen 5 1600X
Ryzen 5 1600
Ryzen 5 1500X
Ryzen 5 1400
Ryzen 3 1300X
Ryzen 3 1200
- AMD Ryzen 9 3950X : Everything You Need To Know!
- 3rd Gen AMD Threadripper Tech + Performance Preview!
- GIGABYTE TRX40 Threadripper Motherboards Revealed!
- AMD Athlon 3000G : The Last Raven Ridge APU!
- AMD Fall 2019 Desktop Ryzen + Threadripper Update!
- Red Dead Redemption 2 : Use These AMD + NVIDIA Drivers!
- How AMD CPUs Work In A Secured-core PC Device!
- The Workstation Graphics Card Comparison Guide
- MSI Alpha 15 – World’s First RX 5500M Gaming Laptop!
- The Intel Core Processor Number Guide – What They Mean!
- The 10th Gen Intel Core Processor Number Guide!
- 10th Gen Intel Comet Lake : 1 Step Forward, 1 Step Back!
- AMD Radeon RX 5500 Series : Everything You Need To Know!
- The Tech ARP Mobile GPU Comparison Guide
- The Tech ARP Mobile CPU Comparison Guide
- AMD EPYC 7002 Series Price + Specifications Compared!
- 2nd Gen EPYC – Everything You Need To Know Summarised!
- The Workstation & Server CPU Comparison Guide
- AMD Ryzen 3000 Series Price, Availability + Specifications!
- AMD Celebrates Strong Ryzen + Radeon Sales In Malaysia!
- The Tech ARP Desktop CPU Comparison Guide
- The Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Guide
- GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Xtreme Motherboard Preview
- The NVIDIA RTX Super vs AMD RX 5700 Comparison! 3.0
- RX 5700 vs RTX 2060 SUPER Performance Comparison!
Go Back To > Computer Hardware | Software | Home
Support Tech ARP!