In all the excitement over the launch of the NVIDIA GeForce RTX SUPER series, everyone posted the wrong TMU count for the RTX 2070 SUPER graphics card.
This gave the GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER an unfair performance lead over the upcoming AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT on paper.
Let’s find out how everyone got the RTX 2070 SUPER’s TMU count so wrong…
How Everyone Got The RTX 2070 SUPER TMU Count Wrong!
Even before the RTX SUPER series was launched, many websites got its TMU count wrong.
That was because they based their information on, of all things, the leaked but official RTX 2070 SUPER Reviewer’s Guide.
On Page 9 of the official GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Reviewer’s Guide is this table, comparing the specifications of the RTX 2070 SUPER against the “regular” RTX 2070 and the GeForce GTX 1070.
As you can see, it wrongly lists the RTX 2070 SUPER with 184 Texture Units and a corresponding texel fill rate of 325.7 Gigatexels/sec.
No wonder everyone got their RTX 2070 SUPER TMU specifications wrong.
This is important, because the TMU count of 184 gives the RTX 2070 SUPER a ridiculous and completely unfair performance advantage over the AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT on paper.
Gamers who don’t bother to wait for benchmark results will probably just assume the RTX 2070 SUPER is definitely much faster than the RX 5700 XT.
Well, they may end up correct but we wouldn’t know until the RX 5700 XT is released on the 7 July…
Recommended : NVIDIA RTX SUPER Comparison : Performance, Value, Watt
The Effect Of The Wrong RTX 2070 SUPER TMU Count
This singular mistake makes a big difference, at least on paper, when potential buyers compare the specifications of the RTX 2070 SUPER against the upcoming AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT.
|RX 5700 XT||RTX
|Base Clock||1605 MHz||1605 MHz||1605 MHz|
|Boost Clock||1770 MHz||1905 MHz||1770 MHz|
|Min. Texture Fill Rate||295.3 GT/s||256.8 GT/s||256.8 GT/s|
|Max. Texture Fill Rate||325.7 GT/s||304.8 GT/s||283.2 GT/s|
|Min. Pixel Fill Rate||102.7 GP/s||102.7 GP/s||102.7 GP/s|
|Max. Pixel Fill Rate||113.3 GP/s||121.9 GP/s||113.3 GP/s|
With the incorrect TMU count of 184, the RTX 2070 SUPER has a 10.6% advantage in texture fill rate over the Radeon RX 5700 XT.
But with the correct TMU count, the Radeon RX 5700 XT ends up with the same minimum texture and pixel fill rates as the RTX 2070 SUPER, with 7.6% higher peak texture and pixel fill rates!
Recommended : The NVIDIA Super RTX vs AMD RX 5700 Comparison!
Calculating The Correct RTX 2070 SUPER TMU Count
We were suspicious about the 184 TMU count for the RTX 2070 SUPER from the start. Even when everyone else posted that TMU count in their leak coverage, we stuck with 160 TMUs.
A quick refresher course on the TU104 GPU that the RTX 2070 SUPER uses :
- It has 6 Graphics Processing Clusters (GPC).
- Each GPC has 4 Texture Processing Clusters (TPC).
- Each TPC has 2 Streaming Multiprocessors (SMs).
- Each SM has 64 CUDA Cores, and 4 Texture Units
Working backwards, that means it would have 40 Streaming Multiprocessors and 20 Texture Processing Clusters… and 160 Texture Units.
Recommended : NVIDIA Super RTX Price List + Game Bundle CONFIRMED!
Confirming The Correct RTX 2070 SUPER TMU Count
First, we dug deeper into the RTX 2070 SUPER Reviewer’s Guide and found on Page 13…
A separate set of RTX 2070 SUPER specifications, with the CORRECT TMU specifications!
But to be sure, we asked NVIDIA to confirm the specifications, and we received this reply :
The correct numbers are 160 TMUs, which translates to 283.2 Gigatexels per second.
So there you have it, guys… the correct RTX 2070 SUPER TMU count is 160, not 184.
Recommended : NVIDIA GeForce RTX SUPER : Everything You Need To Know!
Recommended Reading[adrotate group=”2″]
- NVIDIA RTX SUPER Comparison : Performance, Value, Watt
- NVIDIA SUPER RTX : Everything You Need To Know!
- NVIDIA Super RTX Price List + Game Bundle CONFIRMED!
- Two EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Super XC Sneak Peek!
- EVGA RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra Gaming Sneak Peek!
- GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER – Everything Leaked So Far!
- GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER – Everything Leaked So Far!
- Watch Dogs Legion Sneak Peek + Ray Tracing Details!
- NVIDIA Ray Tracing Techniques – Showcase + Explanation!
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 16 Series Laptops – Everything You Need To Know!
- The 2019 Predator Helios 300 with RTX 2070 Revealed!
- The 2019 Predator Helios 700 Adds HyperDrift Keyboard!
- The First 15 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Graphics Cards!
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Tech Briefing + Q&A Session!
- The Exclusive NVIDIA DLSS Tech Briefing + Demos
Go Back To > Computer Hardware | Gaming | Home