NVIDIA just announced that they will introduce Resizable BAR support at the end of February 2021!
Find out what Resizable BAR is all about, and why it matters!
Resizable BAR : What Is It?
Resizable BAR is an optional PCI Express feature, that can deliver a small but free boost in performance for the graphics card.
CPUs are traditionally limited to a 256 MB I/O memory address region for the GPU frame buffer. The CPU can only transfer data like textures, shaders and geometry to the GPU through that small 256 MB “window”.
Turning on Resizable BAR expands that small access window, letting the CPU directly access the GPU’s entire frame buffer memory.
Those graphics assets can thus be sent in full, instead of in pieces. In addition, multiple transfers can occur simultaneously, instead of being queued up.
NVIDIA To Introduce Resizable BAR In February 2021!
AMD was first out the door with Resizable BAR in November 2020, launching it as Smart Access Memory.
It gave their Radeon RX 6800 XT graphics card a free performance boost of up to 16% in some games, but no effect in other games.
You can check out the performance difference in our article, RX 6800 XT Smart Access Memory Performance Comparison!
On 12 January 2021, NVIDIA announced that they will be able to introduce Resizable BAR support in GeForce drivers from Late February 2021 onwards.
The newly announced GeForce RTX 3060 will ship with support for Resizable BAR. However, older GeForce RTX 30 series cards will need to have their VBIOS updated from March 2021 onwards.
The motherboard must also be updated with Resizable BAR support. According to Intel, this will be limited to 11th Gen platforms, and select 10th Gen platforms.
- GeForce RTX 30 Series Gaming Laptops Are Coming!
- 78-Card RTX 3080 Mining Rig Almost Operational!
- Crypto Mining Rig With 78 GeForce RTX 3080 Cards!
- Gaming PC Catches Fire : Was It The RTX 3090 Or The PSU?
- Vulkan Ray Tracing (Quake 2 RTX) On AMD Radeon RX 6800!
- NVIDIA Reflex : How Does It Reduce System Latency?
- Quake 2 RTX Now Supports Vulkan Ray Tracing!
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti : Faster Than 2080 SUPER!
- RTX 3070 / 3080 / 3090 Availability Not The BIG Problem…
- Cyberpunk 2077 : AMD Ray Tracing NOT Available At Launch!
- Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Guide Rev. 37.3
- Buy RTX 3080 / RTX 3090, FREE CoD Black Ops Cold War!
- Radeon RX 6000 vs GeForce RTX 30 : Faster + Cheaper!
- Dell G5 15 5500 Review : Affordable RTX Gaming @ 144 Hz!
- NVIDIA RTX A6000 + Omniverse : Specs + Details!
- 2020 HP ENVY Laptops : Be The Envy Of Creators Wherever You Go!
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series : What You Need To Know!
- How An NVIDIA Founders Edition Graphics Card Is Designed!
Support Tech ARP!