After years of letting third-party companies sell camera covers, Apple just issued a warning that using a camera cover can damage your MacBook laptop!
Find out what’s going on, and why using a camera cover may be critical for your privacy, but can damage your MacBook!
Warning : Using A Camera Cover Can Damage Your MacBook!
In a new technical advisory, Apple warns that closing your MacBook laptop with a camera cover attached could physically damage the display, due to the limited clearance between the display and the chassis.
In addition, installing a camera cover can block the ambient light sensor located next to the camera. This will prevent features like automatic brightness and True Tone from working properly.
If you close your Mac notebook with a camera cover installed, you might damage your display because the clearance between the display and keyboard is designed to very tight tolerances.
Instead of using a camera cover, Apple recommends relying on the camera indicator light to tell you when it is actively recording you.
This is a VERY BAD idea, which we will elaborate in this article : Apple Is Wrong. You Need To Cover Your Mac Camera!
What If You MUST Use A Camera Cover?
If your organisation or work requires you to use a camera cover, Apple issued these recommendations :
- Make sure the camera cover is not thicker than 0.1 mm.
- Avoid using a camera cover that leaves adhesive residue.
- If you install a camera cover that is thicker than 0.1 mm, remove the camera cover before closing your computer.
For Americans and anyone else still stuck with Imperial measurements, 0.1 mm = 0.00393 inch.
This example of an ultra-thin camera cover designed for the MacBook is 8X too thick, according to Apple.
It is physically impossible to create a camera cover that thin. In other words, Apple is telling you yet again NOT to use an actual camera cover!
Instead, try using a tiny piece of sticky note. It is not only thin, it is also soft. Just make sure it covers only the camera, and not the ambient light sensor.
- Apple Is Wrong. You Need To Cover Your Mac Camera!
- Will TikTok Be Banned In Pakistan After Student’s Death?
- 2020 Dell Latitude : Models, Price + Availability!
- 2020 Dell Precision Mobile : Models, Price + Availability!
- TikTok Reverse-Engineered : A Peek At How It Works!
- India Bans 59 Chinese Apps, Including TikTok and WeChat!
- Dell Latitude 9510 : 15″ Ultralight With 30 Hr Battery Life!
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla : FREE With AMD Ryzen CPUs!
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT In-Depth Review : Seriously?
- TikTok Caught Spying What We Type In Other Apps… TWICE!
- HUAWEI MateBook X Pro (2020) Review : Ultra-Light Beast!
- Fact Check : Communist Revolution Monument In Penang!
- Scam Alert : FG Lockdown Funds Scam Exposed!
- Will BeiDou Give HUAWEI Phones FREE Calls + Internet?
- Fact Check: Changi Airport Passengers Must Wear PPE Suits?
- Fact Check : Lincoln Memorial Defaced By BLM Protestors!
- George Floyd Challenge Exposed : Racist + Dangerous!
- Fact Check : White House Lights Out With Trump In Bunker?
- Fact Check : White Cops Arrest Black Man, Finds He’s FBI!
- Fact Check : US Protestors Asking China For Help!
- Fact Check : George Floyd Protestors Broke Into White House!
- Android Wallpaper Malware Explained + Solved!
- Apple iPad 7th Gen vs Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 : Who Wins?
- How To Fix NAS Connection Failure In macOS Catalina!
- macOS Catalina – The Full List of 235 Incompatible Apps!
- macOS Catalina – Don’t Upgrade Until You Do This First!
- The Ultimate Apple Pro Display XDR Configuration Guide!
- Apple Finally Kills iTunes… Good Riddance To Bad Rubbish!
Go Back To > Computer | Cybersecurity | Home
Support Tech ARP!