After years of letting third-party companies sell camera covers, Apple just issued a warning that using a camera cover can damage your MacBook laptop!
Find out what’s going on, and why using a camera cover may be critical for your privacy, but can damage your MacBook!
Warning : Using A Camera Cover Can Damage Your MacBook!
In a new technical advisory, Apple warns that closing your MacBook laptop with a camera cover attached could physically damage the display, due to the limited clearance between the display and the chassis.
In addition, installing a camera cover can block the ambient light sensor located next to the camera. This will prevent features like automatic brightness and True Tone from working properly.
Instead of using a camera cover, Apple recommends relying on the camera indicator light to tell you when it is actively recording you.
This is a VERY BAD idea, which we will elaborate in this article : Apple Is Wrong. You Need To Cover Your Mac Camera!
What If You MUST Use A Camera Cover?
If your organisation or work requires you to use a camera cover, Apple issued these recommendations :
- Make sure the camera cover is not thicker than 0.1 mm.
- Avoid using a camera cover that leaves adhesive residue.
- If you install a camera cover that is thicker than 0.1 mm, remove the camera cover before closing your computer.
For Americans and anyone else still stuck with Imperial measurements, 0.1 mm = 0.00393 inch.
This example of an ultra-thin camera cover designed for the MacBook is 8X too thick, according to Apple.
It is physically impossible to create a camera cover that thin. In other words, Apple is telling you yet again NOT to use an actual camera cover!
Instead, try using a tiny piece of sticky note. It is not only thin, it is also soft. Just make sure it covers only the camera, and not the ambient light sensor.
- Apple Is Wrong. You Need To Cover Your Mac Camera!
- Will TikTok Be Banned In Pakistan After Student’s Death?
- 2020 Dell Latitude : Models, Price + Availability!
- 2020 Dell Precision Mobile : Models, Price + Availability!
- TikTok Reverse-Engineered : A Peek At How It Works!
- India Bans 59 Chinese Apps, Including TikTok and WeChat!
- Dell Latitude 9510 : 15″ Ultralight With 30 Hr Battery Life!
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla : FREE With AMD Ryzen CPUs!
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT In-Depth Review : Seriously?
- TikTok Caught Spying What We Type In Other Apps… TWICE!
- HUAWEI MateBook X Pro (2020) Review : Ultra-Light Beast!
- Fact Check : Communist Revolution Monument In Penang!
- Scam Alert : FG Lockdown Funds Scam Exposed!
- Will BeiDou Give HUAWEI Phones FREE Calls + Internet?
- Fact Check: Changi Airport Passengers Must Wear PPE Suits?
- Fact Check : Lincoln Memorial Defaced By BLM Protestors!
- George Floyd Challenge Exposed : Racist + Dangerous!
- Fact Check : White House Lights Out With Trump In Bunker?
- Fact Check : White Cops Arrest Black Man, Finds He’s FBI!
- Fact Check : US Protestors Asking China For Help!
- Fact Check : George Floyd Protestors Broke Into White House!
- Android Wallpaper Malware Explained + Solved!
- Apple iPad 7th Gen vs Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 : Who Wins?
- How To Fix NAS Connection Failure In macOS Catalina!
- macOS Catalina – The Full List of 235 Incompatible Apps!
- macOS Catalina – Don’t Upgrade Until You Do This First!
- The Ultimate Apple Pro Display XDR Configuration Guide!
- Apple Finally Kills iTunes… Good Riddance To Bad Rubbish!
Go Back To > Computer | Cybersecurity | Home
Support Tech ARP!