More than a year after Intel showcased their Lakefield hybrid processors, they finally launched the Intel Core i5-L 16G7 and Intel Core i3-L 13G4 hybrid processors!
Here is a quick primer on both of these new Intel Lakefield hybrid processors…
Intel Lakefield : What Is It?
Intel Lakefield is a new family of hybrid processors designed for ultra-compact mobile devices. Offered as a compact Compute SoC, it promises benefits like :
- Standby power 1/10th of competing designs
- 50% better graphics performance
- 40% core area reduction
- 40% Z height reduction
By leveraging their Foveros 3D die stacking technology, Intel Lakefield combines 4 low-power Tremont cores, with a high-performance 10nm Sunny Cove core, and up to 64 Gen 11 graphics cores, into a package that is just 12 x 12 mm in size, and 1 mm thick.
Recommended : Intel Foveros 3D Stacking Technology : A Quick Primer!
Intel Core i5-L 16G7 + Core i3-L 13G4 : First Lakefield Hybrid Processors!
After protracted development, Intel finally announced their first two Lakefield hybrid processors – the Intel Core i5-L 16G7 and Intel Core i3-L 13G4.
They are also officially known as Intel Core processors with Intel Hybrid Technology. Either way, their names are quite a mouthful!
In addition to being the first Intel Core processors using the Foveros 3D stacking technology, they are the first Intel Core processors to :
- ship with Package-on-Package (PoP) LPDDR4x memory, for reduced board size.
- feature SoC standby power as low as 2.5 mW – 91% lower than Intel Y-series processors
- feature native dual internal display pipes to directly support foldable / dual-screen PCs
Both the Intel Core i5-L 16G7 and Core i3-L 13G4 hybrid processors also boast these key features :
- hardware-guided OS scheduling
– enabling real-time communication between the CPU and OS scheduler, to run the right apps on the right cores
– up to 24% better performance per SoC power
– up to 12% faster single-threaded integer performance
– flexible GPU engine compute allows for acceleration of AI-enhanced video stylisation, analytics and image resolution upscaling
- Intel Gen11 Graphics
– up to 1.7x better graphics performance, and 54% faster video conversion performance
– support up to four external 4K displays
- Gigabit connectivity
– support for Intel Wi-Fi 6 and Intel LTE solutions
Intel Core i5-L 16G7 + Core i3-L 13G4 : Specifications
|Specifications||Intel Core i5-L 16G7
||Intel Core i3-L 13G4|
|Fabrication Process||10 nm (compute die)
+ 22 nm (base die)
|Cores / Threads||1 x Sunny Cove core
4 x Tremont (Atom) cores
|Base Clock Speed||1.4 GHz||800 MHz|
|Single Core Turbo Clock||3.0 GHz||2.8 GHz|
|All Core Turbo Clock||1.8 GHz||1.3 GHz|
|CPU Cache||4 MB|
|Graphics Cores (EUs)||64||48|
|Max. Graphics Clock||500 MHz|
|Embedded Memory||LPDDR4X-4267 (Up to 8 GB)|
|CPU TjMax||100 °C|
|Imaging Support||4K @ 60 fps
– up to 6 cameras (4 concurrent streams)
|I/O Support||USB 3.1 Type C
PCI Express Gen3
|Connectivity Options||Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200
Intel Wireless-AC 9260
Intel XMM7560 M.2
|Package||12 x 12 x 1 mm, POP BGA|
Intel Core i5-L 16G7 + Core i3-L 13G4 : Availability
Intel has only announced two design wins for Lakefield :
- Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Fold with a folding OLED display – shipping later this year
- Samsung Galaxy Book S – shipping in June 2020
- Intel Foveros 3D Stacking Technology : A Quick Primer!
- 2020 HUAWEI MateBook X Pro Review : Ultra-Light Beast!
- Tech ARP Desktop CPU Comparison Guide
- 2020 Dell Precision Mobile : Models, Price + Availability!
- 2020 Dell Latitude : Models, Price + Availability!
- 2020 Acer Swift 3 with Ryzen 5 / 10th Gen Intel Revealed!
- 10th Gen Intel Desktop CPUs : Price + Specifications!
- Intel oneAPI Unified Programming Model Overview!
- Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 : Everything You Need To Know!
- Intel Nervana NNP-I1000 PCIe + M.2 Cards Revealed!
- Intel Nervana NNP-T1000 PCIe + Mezzanine Cards Revealed!
- Intel Nervana AI Accelerators : Everything You Need To Know!
- 10th Gen Intel Ice Lake Mobile CPU Features + Specifications!
- The Intel Core Processor Number Guide – What They Mean!
- The 10th Gen Intel Core Processor Number Guide!
- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor In-Depth Review!
- AMD Ryzen 3000 Series Price, Availability + Specifications!
- Intel Optane Memory H10 With QLC 3D NAND Revealed!
Go Back To > Computer Hardware | Home
Support Tech ARP!