2020 HUAWEI MateBook X Pro : Performance | Verdict | Award
2020 HUAWEI MateBook X Pro : Performance
Our 2020 HUAWEI MateBook X Pro (MY|SG|UK) came powered by the 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10510U processor, which is a 4-core, 8-thread processor with a 1.8 GHz clock speed that ramps up to 4.9 GHz during intensive tasks.
The processor has Intel UHD Graphics built-in, but can switch to the NVIDIA GeForce MX250 graphics (with 2 GB of GDDR5 memory) for more strenuous graphics demands.
Our unit came with 16 GB of LPDDR3 memory, and a 1 TB Samsung PCIe SSD. Keeping all that powered is a large 56 Whr lithium-ion polymer battery.
Work Performance : PCMark 10
The Intel Core i7-10510U processor was powerful, delivering high scores in PCMark 10.
It is, frankly, overkill for basic work applications, but will be very helpful in tackling compute-intensive tasks, like rendering videos.
Gaming Performance : 3DMark Time Spy
The NVIDIA GeForce MX250 is entry-level mobile graphics, and it shows – it’s slightly slower than a desktop GeForce GT 130.
That means it will be good enough for esports gaming, at the lower 1080p resolution with lower quality settings.
Battery Life : YouTube + Modern Office
HUAWEI claimed 13 hours of video playback, albeit with the display set to 150 nits (⅓ of max brightness).
YouTube Screen-On Time
We locked the brightness at 50% and streamed YouTube videos in theatre mode using WiFi.
PCMark 10 : Modern Office
With the brightness locked at 50%, we then ran PCMark 10’s Modern Office benchmark until it powered off.
Battery : Recharging Speed
Its recharging time was even better, especially up to the 90% point. Here are the times it takes to recharge from 10% :
- 25% : 12 minutes
- 30% : 16 minutes
- 50% : 31 minutes
- 60% : 39 minutes
- 75% : 52 minutes
- 90% : 72 minutes
- 95% : 84 minutes
- 100% : 121 minutes
Its 65W fast charger takes about 35 minutes to hit mid-point, but 2 hours 1 minute to fully recharge its battery.
That gives it a battery life : recharging time ratio of 4.6:1 for video streaming, and 3.8:1 for office work.
As a rule of thumb, you will need to recharge its battery about 16 minutes for every hour of battery life.
2020 HUAWEI MateBook X Pro : Verdict + Award
It is smaller and lighter than the 13-inch MacBook Pro, and yet boasts a touchscreen display that is larger and offers a higher 3K resolution!
On top of that, it comes with a powerful quad-core 10th Gen Intel Core i7 processor, with NVIDIA GeForce MX250 mobile graphics, 16 GB LPDDR3 memory and a spacious 1TB PCIe SSD.
Its large 56 Whr battery lasts a phenomenal 9 hours 11 minutes in our test, and recharges in just 2 hours. That means you can really be on-the-go all-day with this ultra-light laptop.
That said, 2020 MateBook X Pro (MY|SG|UK) is not a gaming machine. The GeForce MX250 will handle games like Civilizations VI and Dota 2 just fine, but don’t expect it to take on Red Dead Redemption 2!
And if you are expecting more ports, then it’s not for you. You have to learn to live with two USB Type C port – one of which you will need to use to recharge the laptop!
But the good news is unlike most ultra-light laptops, the MateBook X Pro comes with one USB Type A port, and a MateDock 2 dongle. That gives you great flexibility, right out of the box.
There are really no two ways about it. It is expensive to make super-thin, ultra-light laptop computers that are this powerful. Especially one with a large, 3K touchscreen.
The truth is – the 2020 MateBook X Pro offers great performance and features in a really light and compact form factor, and it is at least 20% cheaper than a comparable 13-inch MacBook Pro!
2020 HUAWEI MateBook X Pro : Price + Deal!
HUAWEI is offering the 2020 MateBook X Pro in two colour options – Space Grey and Emerald Green.
Here in Malaysia, only one variant will be available for sale starting 16 May 2020 :
- Core i7, MX250, 16GB, 1TB : RM 7,999 / ~US$1,845 / ~£1,495 / ~A$2,843 / ~S$2,615
Every purchase will come with these free gifts :
- HUAWEI Sound X Bluetooth speaker
- HUAWEI Bluetooth Mouse
- HUAWEI Backpack
- HUAWEI Band 4
Here are online purchase options in various countries :
- Malaysia : Core i7-10510U
- Singapore : Core i5-10210U | Core i7-10510U
- United Kingdom : Core i5-10210U | Core i7-10510U
- HUAWEI MatePad Pro 5G : Everything You Need To Know!
- MeeTime : Free Voice + Video Calls On HUAWEI Devices!
- HUAWEI MatePad Pro Review : What A Great Bargain!
- HUAWEI nova 7 SE Preview : Affordable 5G + 64MP Camera!
- Fact Check : AMD Ryzen 4000 Will Use 5nm TSMC Process?
- Tech ARP Desktop CPU Comparison Guide Rev. 20.2
- AMD Ryzen 4000 Mobile : Major Consumer Kick-Off In 2020!
- 2020 Dell Precision Mobile : Models, Price + Availability!
- 2020 Dell Latitude : Models, Price + Availability!
- 2020 Acer Spin 3 : 10th Gen Intel Convertible Laptops!
- HUAWEI Receives World’s First CC EAL4+ Certificate For 5G!
- HUAWEI MateDock 2 : A Nifty Little USB-C Dongle!
- AMD Ryzen 3 3300X Review : Quite The Bargain @ $120!
- AMD Ryzen 3 3100 Review : A Steal At Just $99!
- AMD Ryzen PRO 4000 Mobile APUs : A Quick Primer!
- AMD Ryzen 3 3300X vs Ryzen 3 3100 Comparison
- AMD B550 Chipset : What You Need To Know!
- AMD Ryzen Desktop CPU Spring 2020 Update!
- HUAWEI P40 Smartphones : What Apps Can You Install?
- HUAWEI P40 Pro : How To Setup For The First Time!
- HUAWEI P40 Pro 5G Preview : Visionary Photography!
- 10th Gen Intel Desktop CPUs : Price + Specifications!
- AMD GPU Source Code Hack : What’s Going On?
- 2nd Gen NVIDIA Max-Q Technology : What’s New?
- Tech ARP Desktop CPU Comparison Guide Rev. 20.1
- Did AMD Just Spank ASUS For ROG Overheating Fiasco?
- AMD Ryzen 3 2300X : OEM Model Goes Retail!
- Why ASUS Cannot Blame AMD For Overheating ROG Cards
- ASUS TUF RX 5700 Cards Are Also Overheating, Remember?
- ASUS Blames AMD For Overheating ROG RX 5700 Cards!
- AMD Ryzen 5 3500X : China-Only Model Goes Global!
- How To Optimise For 64 Cores : An AMD Guide!
- AMD Threadripper 3990X : World’s First 64-Core HEDT CPU!
- RX 5600 XT vs RTX 2060 (Super) Price-Performance!
- SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 5600 XT Review : RTX 2060 Killer!
- AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT Power Up BIOS Guide!
- Tech ARP Mobile GPU Comparison Guide Rev. 19.1
Go Back To > First Page | Computer Hardware | Home
Support Tech ARP!