Take a look at this crypto-mining farm that could make $3.5 million a year using just 900 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 gaming laptops!
Hundreds Of RTX Laptops Used In Crypto Mining Farms!
Not only gamers are affected by the limited supply of graphics cards in the market. So are cryptominers!
Chinese cryptominers now have to resort to buying up whatever GeForce RTX gaming laptops they can find, literally hundreds of them!
Instead of ASIC miners or GPU mining rigs, they are now powering their cryptomining operations with RTX gaming laptops!
We earlier highlighted the new trend of using RTX gaming laptops to mine cryptocurrency. It looks as this is more extensive that we first thought.
A Weibo blogger called 神鱼BTCer just shared even more pictures of RTX laptop-based mining operations, big and small.
Many appear to be pretty ghetto, placing the laptops in a kind of “tent mode” for better cooling, wherever there’s space – on tables, chairs or the floor.
But he also showed a seriously big crypto-mining farm being built using these GeForce RTX 30-series gaming laptops.
He even shared a short clip (part of the video we posted above), showing the cryptocurrency mining farm partially operational, with more being set-up.
There are 10 laptops per shelf, with each shelving unit capable of accommodating 60 laptops.
While not particularly large, this cryptocurrency mining farm has at least 15 visible shelving units, so that’s a total of 900 RTX gaming laptops when it’s fully operational.
Currently, it’s only partially complete, with about 200 or so laptops running, with many boxes of laptops left to open and setup.
How Much Money Can This RTX Laptop Mining Farm Make?
We had earlier shared about how a Bilibili content creator used an RTX 3060 laptop to mine 0.00053009 ETH while she sipped her coffee at Starbucks for 2 hours.
Based on her experience, we can guesstimate that the average GeForce RTX 3060 laptop will be able to produce :
- 0.000265045 ETH per hour
- 0.00636108 ETH per day
- 0.1908324 ETH per month (30 days)
- 2.3217942 ETH per year
Chinese electricity costs about RMB 0.545 (US$0.084) per kWh. Assuming each laptop uses about 250 watts of power (including whatever external fans they may be using), that works out to about RMB 1,200 or US$186 per year.
As of 11 February 2021, Ethereum is priced at US$1740. So here’s roughly how much this cryptocurrency mining farm would make, at that price :
- 100 laptops : $385,392 per year
- 200 laptops : $770,784 per year
- 300 laptops : $1,156,177 per year
- 400 laptops : $1,541,569 per year
- 500 laptops : $1,926,961 per year
- 600 laptops : $2,312,353 per year
- 700 laptops : $2,697,745 per year
- 800 laptops : $3,083,138 per year
- 900 laptops : $3,468,530 per year
So there you have it – this small cryptocurrency mining operation can potentially make almost US$ 3.5 million in a single year.
But what’s the ROI, you say?
The Chinese OEM, Hasee, offers a GeForce RTX 3060 gaming laptop with a starting price of just RMB 6,499 (approximately RM4,089 / US$1,005 / £732 / A$1,309 / S$1,340).
And the video shows that this mining operation is using the same, or similar, Hasee RTX gaming laptops.
Let’s say they paid a 20% scalper’s premium, and purchased all 900 Hasee RTX 3060 laptops for a cool US$1,085,400.
Let’s further round that up to US$1.1 million for miscellaneous costs – shelving units, lights, fans, etc. including US$500 per month for rental.
Based on those assumptions, their net profit for the 900-laptop mining farm would be US$2,368,530 per year, at current prices.
That’s an incredibly high ROI of 17.9% per month, which is 67% higher ROI than the 78-card GeForce RTX 3080 mining rig!
After recovering the cost of the entire mining farm ($1.1 million) in just over 3 months, everything else they make after that is pure profit (after deducting rental and electricity costs), unless they are stealing the electricity!
With such great ROI, you can count on cryptocurrency miners to buy up ALL the GeForce RTX 30 series laptops they can get their hands on!
- Illegal Bitcoin Cryptomining Operation Seized!
- GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop Mining : Over 30% ROI?!
- 78-Card GeForce RTX 3080 Mining Rig Powered Up!
- 12-Card GeForce RTX 3090 Gigahash Mining Rig!
- 500 Radeon RX 5700 Cards Destroyed In Fire!
- MSI GeForce RTX 30 Gaming Laptops : Price + Specifications!
- GeForce RTX 3080 Mining Rig Inside A BMW i8 Hybrid!
- AMD Smart Access Memory (Resizable BAR) Guide
- NVIDIA To Introduce Resizable BAR In February 2021!
- Dell UltraSharp 27 (U2722D) USB-C Hub Monitor Revealed!
- Dell UltraSharp 24 (U2422HE) USB-C Hub Monitor Revealed!
- Dell UltraSharp 40 (U4021QW) Curved Monitor Revealed!
- Exclusive : 2021 MBP Will Have MagSafe 3 + SD Card Slot!
- Gaming PC Catches Fire : Was It The RTX 3090 Or The PSU?
- Epic Games Christmas 2020 : 7 More Days Of FREE Games!
- NVIDIA Reflex : How Does It Reduce System Latency?
- Vulkan Ray Tracing (Quake 2 RTX) On AMD Radeon RX 6800!
- Quake 2 RTX Now Supports Vulkan Ray Tracing!
- Apple M1 : How Fast Are Its CPU + GPU?
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti : Faster Than 2080 SUPER!
- Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Guide Rev. 37.3
- Radeon RX 6000 vs GeForce RTX 30 : Faster + Cheaper!
- How To Setup NVIDIA NULL For G-SYNC Monitors Correctly!
- NVIDIA Image Sharpening Guide for DirectX, Vulkan, OpenGL!
Support Tech ARP!