One of the new features that the NVIDIA Turing architecture introduces is NVIDIA DLSS – Deep Learning Super-Sampling.
With help from Jeff Yen and John Gillooly, we will explain what DLSS does and why it will be a game-changer for the GeForce RTX family of graphics cards.
2018-10-06 : Added the DLSS vs TAA demos and Q&A session with John Gillooly, and additional slides and NVIDIA DLSS details.
2018-09-27 : Originally posted as NVIDIA DLSS (Deep Learning Super-Sampling) Explained!
What Is NVIDIA DLSS?
DLSS is short for Deep Learning Super-Sampling. NVIDIA DLSS is a proprietary technology that uses deep learning to deliver better image quality at a lower cost than traditional AA techniques like TAA (Temporal Anti-Aliasing).
It is a new feature that leverages the Inference capability of the Tensor Cores of the new NVIDIA GeForce RTX graphics cards.
Where To Purchase The GeForce RTX?
Here are some GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and GeForce RTX 2080 purchase links in Malaysia :
- GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 Ti WindForce OC 11G : RM 5,699
- GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming OC 11G : RM 5,799
- ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Triple Fan : RM 5,379
- ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Ti AMP : RM 5,639
- GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 WindForce OC 8G : RM 3,899
- GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming OC 8G : RM 3,999
- ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Blower : RM 3,699
- ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 Twin Fan : RM 3,719
- ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 AMP : RM 3,859
Here are some GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and GeForce RTX 2080 purchase links in the US :
- EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 DT Gaming 11GB : $819.99
- NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Founders Edition : $954.00
- ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 08G Dual Fan OC Edition : $948.99
- EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC Ultra Gaming 8G : $949.00
- GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming OC 8GB : $919.99
- GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 WindForce OC 8GB : $789.99
- ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 2080 AMP 8GB : $839.99
Here are some GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and GeForce RTX 2080 purchase links in the US :[adrotate group=”2″]
- KFA2 GeForce RTX 2080 Ti OC Black : £1,703.85
- ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Dual O8G : £845.87
- GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 GAMING OC 8G : £984.61
- GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 WindForce OC 8G : £983.71
- PNY GeForce RTX 2080 XLR8 OC Twin Fan : £916.53
- ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 2080 AMP 8GB : £645.51
Why NVIDIA DLSS Matters
First, let’s start with why NVIDIA DLSS matters. It basically allows GeForce RTX graphics cards to deliver better image quality that is better than, or equivalent to TAA (Temporal Anti-Aliasing) with 33% better frame rates.
NVIDIA shared these benchmark results to demonstrate how much of a performance boost you’ll get with DLSS.
Now, remember that NVIDIA is comparing DLSS to TAA. So you are NOT going to get a 33% boost in frame rate if you don’t use any form of anti-aliasing at all.
But if you enjoy gaming with anti-aliasing enabled for better image quality, NVIDIA DLSS offers image quality that is better or equivalent to TAA, with a significantly lower performance penalty.
NVIDIA DLSS 2X = Ultra High Quality
NVIDIA also offers a DLSS 2X mode, which is designed to deliver ultra high quality renders that are very close to that of 64X super sampling.
NVIDIA DLSS (Deep Learning Super-Sampling) Explained!
At an exclusive NVIDIA tech briefing in Bangkok, NVIDIA Director of Technical Marketing for APAC, Jeff Yen, gave us two briefing sessions on NVIDIA DLSS, which we combined in this video for you. It offers you a quick 11-minute primer on DLSS.
NVIDIA DLSS vs TAA Demos + Q&A
Next, John Gillooly compared the performance of the NVIDIA DLSS against TAA (Temporal Anti-Aliasing). We also had a Q&A session with him about DLSS.
Now, if you are still skeptical about how NVIDIA DLSS can deliver better image quality with a much lower performance hit, let’s examine how NVIDIA DLSS actually works.
Next Page > How NVIDIA DLSS Works, The NVIDIA DLSS FAQ
Support Tech ARP!
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, participating in the Tech ARP Forums, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!