ASUS blamed AMD for the overheating problems affecting their ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 / 5700 XT cards, and it’s really quite ridiculous.
Find out what’s going on, and why ASUS is WRONG to blame AMD for their overheating ROG cards!
Overheating ROG RX 5700 Cards : Why Is ASUS Blaming AMD?
The ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 XT and Radeon RX 5700 are two of the more premium and expensive RX 5700 series graphics cards in the market.
Instead of using the reference AMD design, both ASUS ROG cards use premium alloy chokes, solid polymer capacitors, triple fans with axial fan blades, and a large 2.7-slot cooler.
They also feature the ASUS MaxContact Technology, which allows ASUS says will DOUBLE the contact surface with the GPU for maximum thermal transfer.
Despite such an impressive list of premium power and cooling capabilities, users noticed that their expensive ASUS ROG RX 5700 cards keep overheating.
ASUS finally admitted on Valentine’s Day 2020, that their cooler (with MaxContact Technology) was not secured tightly enough.
However, ASUS blamed AMD for that mistake, claiming that they recommended a mounting pressure that was much too low.
They actually penned an article, and created this pressure vs temperature chart to prove that they were not at fault, and users should blame AMD.
Why ASUS Cannot Blame AMD For Overheating ROG Cards
The more we analysed this issue, the more we realised how absurd ASUS claims were.
Reason #1 : AMD Recommendations Are For Their Reference Design
We do not have access to AMD’s engineering specifications, but logically, their recommended mounting pressure would be for their reference design only.
Both ASUS ROG Strix cards use a custom 2.7-slot cooler design, with triple fans, and the ASUS MaxContact Technology. They even come with a reinforced frame, presumably to support higher mounting pressures.
So it would not be logical for the brilliant engineers at ASUS to simply use whatever mounting pressure AMD recommended for the reference design.
Reason #2 : ASUS Reference Cards Did Not Overheat
ASUS also offers reference design models like many other brands, but that card does NOT have an overheating problem.
So it shows clearly that the recommended mounting pressure worked when applied to the AMD reference design.
Reason #3 : ASUS Only Discovered The Right Pressure After Extended Tests
This is a puzzling statement, because it suggests that they shipped their ROG Strix cards without performing enough tests to determine the optimal mounting pressure for their custom cooler.
One would also expect ASUS to perform stress tests on these premium card designs, to make sure they work properly… before they are qualified for production.
While it is possible for any product to have bugs, overheating due to loose screws seem hard to miss…
Reason #4 : Even ASUS TUF Cards Are Overheating!
We should remember that the TUF Gaming versions of both cards also have overheating issues, albeit for a different reason.
Their impressively large coolers were found to lack proper cooling for the memory chips (XT model), or had no cooling at all (non-XT model).
That led to impressive memory temperatures that were far in excess of their rated specifications, and more than enough to boil water while you game.
Fortunately for AMD, ASUS could not blame them for that terrible design decision. But that exposed the sobering fact that ASUS was not above cutting corners in their cards…
Recommended : ASUS TUF RX 5700 Cards Are Also Overheating, Remember?
Reason #5 : No Other Brands Are Affected
This overheating issue does not seem to be a problem with other brands with custom coolers.
And as far as we can tell, reference designs from ASUS and other brands do not have overheating issues.
So it would be interesting to see ASUS explain why only their ROG Strix RX 5700 and ROG Strix RX 5700 XT cards are overheating…
Should We STOP Buying AMD Radeon Cards From ASUS?
No, ASUS cards based on AMD reference designs are perfectly fine. And the current slew of ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 / 5700 XT cards now come with properly tightened coolers.
ASUS Radeon RX 5700 XT (Reference)
- Malaysia : RM 1,988 | RM 1,999
- Singapore : S$698 | S$699
- United States : $409.99
- United Kingdom : £369
ASUS Radeon RX 5700 (Reference)
- Malaysia : RM 1,615 | RM 1,658 | RM 1,674 | RM 1,701
- Singapore : S$589 | S$599
- United States : $358.48
- United Kingdom : £338
- Australia : A$604
ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 XT
- Malaysia : RM 2,065 | RM 2,069 | RM 2,075 | RM 2,199
- Singapore : S$707 | S$714 | S$714 | S$729
- United States : $599.99
- United Kingdom : £425
- Australia : A$811 | A$819 | A$856
ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700
- Malaysia : RM 1,829 | RM 1,893 | RM 1,899 | RM 1,953
- Singapore : S$647 | S$659 | S$684 | S$699
- United States : $479.99
- United Kingdom : £391
- Australia : A$680 | A$754 | A$778
But you should definitely not buy the TUF models, which lack proper memory cooling. Get the new TUF EVO models instead.
- ASUS TUF RX 5700 Cards Are Also Overheating, Remember?
- ASUS Blames AMD For Overheating ROG RX 5700 Cards!
- AMD Ryzen 5 3500X : China-Only Model Goes Global!
- How To Optimise For 64 Cores : An AMD Guide!
- AMD Threadripper 3990X : World’s First 64-Core HEDT CPU!
- RX 5600 XT vs RTX 2060 (Super) Price-Performance!
- SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 5600 XT Review : RTX 2060 Killer!
- AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT Power Up BIOS Guide!
- GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5600 XT : Now 180W Strong!
- AMD Clarifies Last-Minute RX 5600 XT Overclocking!
- Yes! AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT Gets SUPER Power-Up!
- The Cheapest Ryzen 3rd Gen CPUs / Bundles In Malaysia!
- AMD Celebrates Strong Ryzen + Radeon Sales In Malaysia!
- The Cheapest Ryzen 3rd Gen CPUs / Bundles In Malaysia!
- 3rd Gen Ryzen AUSTRALIA Price List + Analysis!
- 3rd Gen Ryzen SINGAPORE Price List + Analysis!
- 3rd Gen Ryzen MALAYSIA Price List + Analysis!
- AMD Radeon RX 5700 Graphics Card In-Depth Review!
- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor In-Depth Review!
- The AMD Radeon RX 5700 Malaysia Price List + Analysis!
- AMD Radeon RX 5700 Australia Price + Bundle Confirmed!
- The AMD Radeon RX 5700 Singapore Price List + Analysis!
- Thank NVIDIA For The AMD Radeon RX 5700 Price Cut!
- AMD Ryzen 3000 Series Price, Availability + Specifications!
Go Back To > Computer Hardware | Home
Support Tech ARP!
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, participating in the Tech ARP Forums, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!