The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX Up Close + Key Features
The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX Up Close!
Built on the 12nm Zen+ microarchitecture, the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX has 24 cores which handles up to 48 simultaneous threads. It boasts higher base and boost clock speeds, with a 12 MB L2 cache, and a 64 MB L3 cache.
The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX processor also features improved AMD SenseMI Technology, with Precision Boost 2, and Extended Frequency Range 2 (XFR2). Let’s take a look at its key features…
AMD Zen+ Microarchitecture
The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX is based on the improved AMD Zen+ microarchitecture, which delivers slightly better performance, with lower cache and memory latencies :
- 3% more 1T IPC (instructions per second)
- 13% lower L1 cache latency
- 34% lower L2 cache latency
- 16% lower L3 cache latency
- 11% lower memory latency
- Official support for JEDEC DDR4-2933
12LP Process Technology
The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX is fabricated using the 12LP (12 nm Leading Performance) process technology from GlobalFoundries. This is the same process technology used in the 2nd Gen Ryzen processor.
12LP is really a 14 nm process, with improvements and a tighter pitch, so the die size and transistor count remain the same. However, the improved process allows for these improvements :
- top clock speed increased by 250 MHz
- “all core” now overclock around 4.2 GHz
- CPU voltage is reduced by about 50 mV at all clock speeds
- up to 11% lower power consumption, compared to 14 nm
- up to 16% better performance per watt, compared to 14 nm
Precision Boost 2
Precision Boost 2 is one of the biggest improvements in AMD SenseMI. It replaces the old 2-core boost model, with a linear boost model. This allows for much greater performance for games and applications that use more than 2 cores.
Extended Frequency Range 2 (XFR 2)
XFR 2 will boosts its performance by 4-7%, depending on the performance of the installed CPU cooler.
AMD X399 Chipset
The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX will run on the existing AMD X399 motherboards, with a BIOS update. However, motherboard vendors have new AMD X399 Refresh motherboards that will offer higher overclockability, and the AMD StoreMI Technology as a value-added bonus.
AMD StoreMI is basically an OEM version of the Enmotus FuzeDrive Basic software, which allows you to combine all of your storage drives into a single virtual storage drive. It can even add up to 2 GB of DDR4 memory as a very fast cache to the combined drive.
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Octa-Core Processor Review
- AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Hexa-Core Processor Review
- The 2nd Gen Threadripper Processor Family Revealed!
- AMD Threadripper 2 – Everything You Need To Know!
- 2nd Gen Ryzen @ Ryzen 2 – Everything You Need To Know!
- The AMD Ryzen 2 “Pinnacle Ridge” Price, Specifications + Availability
- The AMD Raven Ridge Desktop APUs – Everything You Need To Know!
- AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics
- AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
- Thank The Ryzen Effect For Better Intel Processors!
Go Back To > First Page | Computer Hardware + Systems | Home