AMD just introduced the Ryzen 7 4800U – the world’s first 8-core, 16-thread mobile processor with a nominal TDP of just 15 watts!
Here is EVERYTHING AMD has revealed so far about the Ryzen 7 4800U, including when you can expect it to debut!
AMD Ryzen 4000 U-Series
The AMD Ryzen 7 4800U is part of the new Ryzen 4000 U-Series, which consists at launch of these five models :
- Ryzen 7 4800U : 8 cores, 16 threads, 1.8 GHz base clock, 4.2 GHz boost clock
- Ryzen 7 4700U : 8 cores, 8 threads, 2.0 GHz base clock, 4.1 GHz boost clock
- Ryzen 5 4600U : 6 cores, 12 threads, 2.1 GHz base clock, 4.0 GHz boost clock
- Ryzen 5 4500U : 6 cores, 6 threads, 2.3 GHz base clock, 4.0 GHz boost clock
- Ryzen 3 4300U : 4 cores, 4 threads, 2.7 GHz base clock, 3.7 GHz boost clock
Recommended : 3rd Gen Ryzen 4000 Mobile Family : A Quick Primer!
AMD Ryzen 7 4800U Mobile APU
There are two 8-core U-series processors, but the AMD Ryzen 7 4800U is the only one to support simultaneous multithreading, allowing it to process up to 16 threads at the same time.
It has a 4 MB L2 cache and 8 MB L3 cache, with a 1.8 GHz base clock and a 4.2 GHz boost clock. It comes with a Radeon Vega 8 Graphics integrated GPU that runs at 1.75 GHz.
The AMD Ryzen 7 4800U has a nominal TDP of 15 watts, but is configurable by the laptop manufacturer for a TDP of 12 watts to 25 watts.
Like the other AMD Ryzen 4000 Mobile processors, it is fabricated on the 7 nm process, and supports LPDDR4x memory. It also has SmartShift capability, when paired with a separate Radeon GPU.
AMD Ryzen 7 4800U Specifications Compared
Here is a comparison of the AMD Ryzen 7 4800U against the other members of the AMD Ryzen 4000 Mobile family.
|Processor Model||Cores /
|Ryzen 7 4800H||8 / 16||45 W||2.9 GHz||4.2 GHz||4 MB||8 MB||Vega 7||1.6 GHz|
|Ryzen 7 4800U||8 / 16||15 W||1.8 GHz||4.2 GHz||4 MB||8 MB||Vega 8||1.75 GHz|
|Ryzen 5 4700U||8 / 8||15 W||2.0 GHz||4.1 GHz||4 MB||8 MB||Vega 7||1.6 GHz|
|Ryzen 5 4600H||6 / 12||45 W||3.0 GHz||4.0 GHz||3 MB||8 MB||Vega 6||1.5 GHz|
|Ryzen 5 4600U||6 / 12||15 W||2.1 GHz||4.0 GHz||3 MB||8 MB||Vega 6||1.5 GHz|
|Ryzen 5 4500U||6 / 6||15 W||2.3 GHz||4.0 GHz||3 MB||8 MB||Vega 6||1.5 GHz|
|Ryzen 3 4300U||4 / 4||15 W||2.7 GHz||3.7 GHz||2 MB||4 MB||Vega 5||1.4 GHz|
AMD Ryzen 7 4800U Performance
The AMD Ryzen 7 4800U is targeted directly at the Intel Core i7-1065G7, offering :
- Up to 4% better single-threaded performance
- Up to 90% better multi-threaded performance
- Up to 18% faster graphics performance
Thanks to its 4 extra cores and ability to process 8 extra threads, the Ryzen 7 4800U can really cut down on the time it takes for content creators to process their work.
Now, its integrated Radeon Vega 8 Graphics is no Speedy Gonzales, but if you can live with low graphics settings, you can actually game at 1080p with decent frame rates.
In League of Legends, its 8-core GPU is slightly slower than the 7-core Intel Iris Plus Graphics, but in most cases, it is between 20%-50% faster.
AMD Ryzen 7 4800U Availability
One of the first laptops to feature the AMD Ryzen 7 4800U is the Lenovo Yoga Slim 7, which lays claim to be the world’s thinnest and lightest 8-core 25W laptop.
Its AMD Ryzen 7 4800U has been adjusted to use the higher 25 watt TDP, and it can be configured with up to 16 GB of LPDDR4x memory.
It comes with a 14-inch Full HD display that supports AMD FreeSync, with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels. It is less than 15 mm thick and weighs just 1.4 kg.
The Lenovo Yoga Slim 7 and the first slew of laptops to feature the Ryzen 7 4800U will debut in Q1 2020. We will update this article once we know more.
- AMD Radeon RX 5700M | RX 5600M : A Quick Primer!
- AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT | RX 5600 : A Quick Primer!
- AMD Threadripper 3990X : World’s First 64-Core HEDT CPU!
- AMD Ryzen 7 4800H : 8C/16T High Performance Mobile APU!
- 3rd Gen Ryzen 4000 Mobile Family : A Quick Primer!
- AMD Athlon 3000 Mobile Processors : A Quick Primer!
- AMD SmartShift Explained : Smart Power Distribution FTW!
- Here Are The First 22 AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT Cards!
- AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT Tech Report + Video Briefing!
- AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition Tech Report!
- AMD Radeon Pro W5700 : Everything You Need To Know!
- AMD Athlon 3000G : The Last Raven Ridge APU Unlocked!
- Behind Terminator Dark Fate : 3rd Gen AMD Threadripper!
- Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 : Everything You Need To Know!
- 3rd Gen AMD Threadripper Tech + Performance Preview!
- GIGABYTE TRX40 Threadripper Motherboards Revealed!
- AMD Ryzen 9 3950X : Everything You Need To Know!
- New Eco-Mode For 3rd Gen Ryzen Processors Explained!
- AMD Fall 2019 Desktop Ryzen + Threadripper Update!
- Red Dead Redemption 2 : Use These AMD + NVIDIA Drivers!
- How AMD CPUs Work In A Secured-core PC Device!
- The Workstation Graphics Card Comparison Guide
- How AMD CPUs Work In A Secured-core PC Device!
- MSI Alpha 15 – World’s First RX 5500M Gaming Laptop!
- AMD Radeon RX 5500 Series : Everything You Need To Know!
- The Tech ARP Mobile GPU Comparison Guide
- The Tech ARP Mobile CPU Comparison Guide
- AMD EPYC 7002 Series Price + Specifications Compared!
- 2nd Gen EPYC – Everything You Need To Know Summarised!
- The Workstation & Server CPU Comparison Guide
- AMD Ryzen 3000 Series Price, Availability + Specifications!
- AMD Celebrates Strong Ryzen + Radeon Sales In Malaysia!
- The Tech ARP Desktop CPU Comparison Guide
- The Desktop Graphics Card Comparison Guide
- GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Xtreme Motherboard Preview
- The NVIDIA RTX Super vs AMD RX 5700 Comparison! 3.0
- RX 5700 vs RTX 2060 SUPER Performance Comparison!
Go Back To > Computer Hardware | Home
Support Tech ARP!
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, participating in the Tech ARP Forums, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!