Our Verdict, Price & Availability, Suggested Reading
First off, it bears reminding that the AMD Ryzen 3 2200G (Price Check) is an APU – basically a quad-core processor, with built-in AMD Vega graphics. Even with the added graphics capability, AMD actually made the Ryzen 3 2200G cheaper than the Ryzen 3 1200 CPU it replaces.
AMD achieved this by using half of a Summit Ridge processor die, allowing 8 Vega Compute Units to be inserted with a slight bump in transistor count and die size. This clever bit of engineering compromise, and a number of other tweaks, allowed them to keep costs low.
The biggest problem with the decision to use a single CCX – the AMD Ryzen 3 2200G (Price Check) only has a 4 MB L3 cache – half that of the Ryzen 3 1200 CPU it replaces. AMD increased its clock speed to compensate, actually making the Ryzen 3 2200G equivalent to the Ryzen 3 1300X (Price Check) on paper.
As our benchmark results show, the Ryzen 3 2200G was 6-12% slower than the Ryzen 3 1300X. But that’s really okay, because the 1300X is 23% more expensive at $129!
When it comes to games, AMD promised that it will deliver “1080 HD+ gaming performance“. That may be true for less strenuous esports games like Dota 2. In the games we tested, its Radeon Vega 8 graphics core can only deliver playable frame rates at 1080p if we use the lowest possible quality settings.[adrotate group=”2″]
So what is the AMD Ryzen 3 2200G really good for? We see it being used mostly in small form-factor esports gaming PCs. It offers decent CPU and gaming performance for games like Dota 2, League of Legends and CS:GO in a single, highly-affordable and power-efficient package.
Remember – the AMD Ryzen 3 2200G (Price Check) offers 4-core CPU performance, with faster than average processor graphics, for just 65 watts of power consumption.
If you are looking to play games with all of the bells and whistles enabled, you need to opt for a dedicated graphics card. But if you are a casual gamer, or just want a really affordable and power-efficient esports gaming system (looking at you esports cafe owners!), it’s hard to beat the value proposition of the AMD Ryzen 3 2200G (Price Check).
Mark our words – the AMD Ryzen 3 2200G is going to shred Intel processors with integrated graphics to pieces.
The AMD Ryzen 3 2200G Price & Availability
As AMD announced, the AMD Ryzen 3 2200G (Price Check) desktop APU will be available starting 12 February 2018.
It is priced at just US$99 (RM 479 in Malaysia), making it an affordable gaming solution. This will be a relief to many esports gamers, who are suffering from extremely high GPU prices because of cryptocurrency miners.
You can help support Tech ARP by ordering your AMD Ryzen 3 2200G from this Amazon link.
- The AMD Raven Ridge Desktop APUs – Everything You Need To Know!
- AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics
- Thank The Ryzen Effect For Better Intel Processors!
- The 8th Gen Intel Core Desktop CPU Tech Report
- The Intel Core i7-8700K Hexa-Core Processor Review
- Everything You Need To Know About The Intel Coffee Lake CPUs!
- The 11 New ASUS Z370 Motherboards Revealed![adrotate group=”2″]
- The 15 New AMD Ryzen CPU Coolers Revealed!
- All You Need To Know About AMD Ryzen Threadripper!
- Introducing the First AMD X399 Threadripper Motherboards!
- The AMD Ryzen PRO Processor Tech Report
- The AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Octa-Core Processor Review
- The AMD Ryzen 5 1500X Quad-Core Processor Review
- The AMD Ryzen 3 1300X Quad-Core Processor Review
- The AMD Ryzen 7 Processor Tech Report
- The AMD Ryzen 5 Processor Tech Report
- The AMD Ryzen 3 Processor Tech Report
Go Back To > First Page | Computer Hardware & Systems | Home