It looks like ASUS got spanked by AMD after publishing their gungho article accusing AMD for causing their ROG cards to overheat.
ASUS just amended their article to speak in far more respectful tones, with interesting tidbits on who was really to blame for the whole ROG overheating fiasco…
Overheating ASUS ROG RX 5700 Cards : What’s Going On?
The ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 XT and Radeon RX 5700 are two of the more premium and expensive RX 5700 series graphics cards in the market, boasting premium alloy chokes, solid polymer capacitors, triple fans with axial fan blades, and a large and heavy heatsink.
They also feature the ASUS MaxContact Technology, which DOUBLES the cooler’s contact surface with the GPU for maximum thermal transfer.
Despite such an impressive list of premium power and cooling capabilities, users noticed that their expensive ASUS ROG RX 5700 cards keep overheating because the screws mounting the cooler were “loose”.
ASUS finally admitted the problem but blamed AMD for causing it on Valentine’s Day. Remember when lovers used to give each other flowers and chocolates? LOL!
They even created this infamous pressure vs temperature chart to prove that they were not at fault, and users should blame AMD.
With the exception of ASUS fans, that accusation and chart got roundly derided because :
- AMD recommendations were for their reference design, not AIB custom designs
- ASUS cards based on the AMD reference design did not have overheating problems
- custom designs from other brands did not have overheating problems
- ASUS TUF Gaming cards had overheating problems of a different nature
Recommended : ASUS TUF RX 5700 Cards Are Also Overheating, Remember?
Looks Like AMD Spanked ASUS For ROG Overheating Fiasco…
Someone in the know just pointed out to us that ASUS quietly removed the chart and changed their article, which was curiously backdated to 15 February.
It really looked like AMD handed ASUS a nice spanking for their absurd accusations, because look at how meek and subservient their new statement looks like :
Compare that with what they posted earlier :
Who Was Really At Fault For Overheating ROG Cards : AMD or ASUS?
Based on the two new sentences and what they left in the new press release, ASUS basically admitted that :
- the AMD “guidelines” they referred to earlier were BASELINE / MINIMUM recommendations
- they used the baseline / minimum mounting pressure meant for the reference design, for a custom cooler of their own design, which ironically includes a backplate for higher mounting pressures
- they were not aware that their ROG Strix cards would overheat under normal gaming conditions, which would be obvious if they performed either pre-production or post-production tests
- they did not perform proper mounting pressure tests for their ROG Strix cards, until users complained about overheating problems
- after conducting those tests, they finally discovered that they should have mounted the coolers at 50-60 PSI, instead of 30-40 PSI the cards shipped with.
- they started mounting those ROG Strix coolers at the higher pressures from January 2020 onwards
That’s what we can tell from their two press releases. We will leave it to you to decide if AMD was at fault, or ASUS.
Recommended : Why ASUS Cannot Blame AMD For Overheating ROG Cards
ASUS, Not AMD, Will Repair Your ROG Cards!
It is instructive to note that ASUS, not AMD, will be repairing your ROG cards for FREE!
- Check and make sure the ROG Strix card you purchased is one of these models :
|ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 XT series||ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 series|
90YV0D90-MTAA00 (North America)
90YV0D90-M0AA00 (North America)
90YV0D90-M0NB00 (Bulk pack)
90YV0DD0-MTAA00 (North America)
90YV0DD0-M0AA00 (North America)
90YV0DD0-M0NB00 (Bulk pack)
- Contact the local ASUS customer support team, and inform them you would like to have your ROG Strix card repaired.
- Wait for the replacement screws to arrive – ASUS says the COVID-19 outbreak is affecting the supply of these replacement screws.
- Once the screws are available, send your ROG Strix card to the local ASUS customer support team, and they will install those screws with higher mounting pressures.
Recommended : ASUS Blames AMD For Overheating ROG RX 5700 Cards!
Should We STOP Buying AMD Radeon Cards From ASUS?
No, ASUS cards based on AMD reference designs are perfectly fine. And the current slew of ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 / 5700 XT cards now come with properly tightened coolers.
ASUS Radeon RX 5700 XT (Reference)
- Malaysia : RM 1,988 | RM 1,999
- Singapore : S$698 | S$699
- United States : $409.99
- United Kingdom : £369
ASUS Radeon RX 5700 (Reference)
- Malaysia : RM 1,615 | RM 1,658 | RM 1,674 | RM 1,701
- Singapore : S$589 | S$599
- United States : $358.48
- United Kingdom : £338
- Australia : A$604
ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700 XT
- Malaysia : RM 2,065 | RM 2,069 | RM 2,075 | RM 2,199
- Singapore : S$707 | S$714 | S$714 | S$729
- United States : $599.99
- United Kingdom : £425
- Australia : A$811 | A$819 | A$856
ASUS ROG Strix Radeon RX 5700
- Malaysia : RM 1,829 | RM 1,893 | RM 1,899 | RM 1,953
- Singapore : S$647 | S$659 | S$684 | S$699
- United States : $479.99
- United Kingdom : £391
- Australia : A$680 | A$754 | A$778
But you should definitely NOT buy the TUF models, which lack proper memory cooling. Get the new TUF EVO models instead.
- AMD Ryzen 3 2300X : OEM Model Goes Retail!
- Why ASUS Cannot Blame AMD For Overheating ROG Cards
- ASUS TUF RX 5700 Cards Are Also Overheating, Remember?
- ASUS Blames AMD For Overheating ROG RX 5700 Cards!
- AMD Ryzen 5 3500X : China-Only Model Goes Global!
- How To Optimise For 64 Cores : An AMD Guide!
- AMD Threadripper 3990X : World’s First 64-Core HEDT CPU!
- RX 5600 XT vs RTX 2060 (Super) Price-Performance!
- SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 5600 XT Review : RTX 2060 Killer!
- AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT Power Up BIOS Guide!
- GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5600 XT : Now 180W Strong!
- AMD Clarifies Last-Minute RX 5600 XT Overclocking!
- Yes! AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT Gets SUPER Power-Up!
- The Cheapest Ryzen 3rd Gen CPUs / Bundles In Malaysia!
- AMD Celebrates Strong Ryzen + Radeon Sales In Malaysia!
- The Cheapest Ryzen 3rd Gen CPUs / Bundles In Malaysia!
- 3rd Gen Ryzen AUSTRALIA Price List + Analysis!
- 3rd Gen Ryzen SINGAPORE Price List + Analysis!
- 3rd Gen Ryzen MALAYSIA Price List + Analysis!
- AMD Radeon RX 5700 Graphics Card In-Depth Review!
- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor In-Depth Review!
- The AMD Radeon RX 5700 Malaysia Price List + Analysis!
- AMD Radeon RX 5700 Australia Price + Bundle Confirmed!
- The AMD Radeon RX 5700 Singapore Price List + Analysis!
- Thank NVIDIA For The AMD Radeon RX 5700 Price Cut!
- AMD Ryzen 3000 Series Price, Availability + Specifications!
Go Back To > Computer Hardware | Home
Support Tech ARP!