2nd Gen Threadripper Key Features, Performance, Price + Availability
2nd Gen Threadripper Key Features
Built on the 12nm Zen+ microarchitecture, the 2nd Gen Threadripper processors, they offer up to 32 cores and 64 threads, with higher base and boost clock speeds. They are compatible with existing AMD X399 motherboards with a BIOS update.
The 2nd Gen Threadripper processors also feature improved AMD SenseMI Technology, with Precision Boost 2, and Extended Frequency Range 2 (XFR2). Other performance and value-added features include :
- AMD StoreMI Technology : All X399 platform customers will now have free access to AMD StoreMI Technology enabling configured PCs to load files, games, and applications from a high-capacity hard drive at SSD-like read speeds.
- Ryzen Master Utility : Like all AMD Ryzen processors, 2nd Gen Threadripper CPUs are fully unlocked. With the updated AMD Ryzen Master Utility, AMD has added new features like fast core detection both on die and per-CCX, advanced hardware controls, and simple, one-click workload optimisations.
- Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) : A new performance—enhancing feature that allows multi-threaded boost limits to be raised by tapping into extra power delivery headroom in premium motherboards.
How Fast Are The 2nd Gen Threadripper CPUs?
In this comparison, the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX is between 35% and 51% faster than the Intel Core i9-7980XE.
When it comes to games, the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X was slightly slower than the Intel Core i9-7900X processor, but much faster in content creation – between 18% to 41% faster.
2nd Gen Threadripper Price + Availability
The 32-core, 64-thread AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX is available from 14 August 2018 onwards at a recommended retail price of US$1,799 / RM 7,999.
The 16-core, 32-thread AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X processor will launch on 31 August 2018, with a recommended retail price of US$899 / RM 3,899.
The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2970WX and 2920X models officially launched on 29 October 2018, with prices of US$1,299 / RM 5,499 and US$649 / RM 2,749 respectively.
Here are some direct purchase links in Malaysia, the United States and the United Kingdom (accurate as of Nov. 3, 2018) :
- Threadripper 2990WX : RM 7,999 | $1,719.99 | £1,575.99
- Threadripper 2970WX : $1,299.99 | £1,199.99
- Threadripper 2950X : RM 3,899 | $899.99 | £828.27
- Threadripper 2920X : $649.99
Next Page > The 2nd Gen Threadripper Presentation Slides
Support Tech ARP!