After a face-to-face meeting with seven of the top US tech companies, Trump agreed to facilitate the resumption of business ties with HUAWEI.
Lifting The HUAWEI Ban : Didn’t Trump Already Agree To It???
On 29 June 2019, Donald Trump said that “he would allow HUAWEI to once again buy US products“, calling it “no great national emergency“.
Perhaps because he foolishly revealed that he “agreed easily” to let US tech companies do business again with HUAWEI, there was a backlash by China hawks in the US government.
It even resulted in the introduction of legislation by a bipartisan group of senators to block Trump from removing HUAWEI from the trade blacklist until national security concerns have been addressed.
As a result, the lifting of the HUAWEI ban was literally put on hold.
Tech Meeting Agenda : Lifting The HUAWEI Ban
On Monday, 22 July 2019, the CEOs of seven top US tech companies – Google, Cisco, Intel, Broadcom, Micron and Western Digital – sat down with Donald Trump and four other key trade officials :
- Larry Kudlow (Director of the National Economic Council),
- Steven Mnuchin (Treasury Secretary),
- Wilbur Ross (Commerce Secretary), and
- Robert Lighthizer (top US trade negotiator).
Their agenda was very clear-cut – lifting the HUAWEI ban, so they can resume selling to one of their top business partners.
Broadcom, for instance, expects to lose $12 billion in sales because of the HUAWEI ban.
How Wilbur Ross Screwed Up The Process
US Commerce Secretary, Wilbur Ross, has come under fire recently for incompetence and lack of leadership, with a penchant to sleep during meetings.
No wonder the seven US tech companies pointedly criticised Ross for not providing “clear guidelines” on selling to HUAWEI after Trump announced that “he would allow HUAWEI to once again buy US products“.
Ross had said that licenses would be issued where there is no threat to US national security, but has not been forthcoming with the details.
It was only last week that Reuters reported that the slow bureaucracy at the US Commerce Department could start approving licences for US companies to start selling again to HUAWEI in a matter of weeks.
No Lifting Of HUAWEI Ban… Just Yet
It was at this meeting that they successfully pressured Donald Trump into agreeing to make “timely licensing decisions” on sales to HUAWEI.
In other words, Trump went back on his words (yet again), this time on lifting the HUAWEI ban. Chinese President Xi must be pulling his hair out in frustration!
But this meeting with US tech giants has forced the White House into publicly agreeing to the timely licencing of sales to HUAWEI.
This lets Trump claim that he isn’t really lifting the HUAWEI ban, just allowing sales that do not contravene US national security interests.
A Big Win For HUAWEI
They successfully convinced the CEOs of seven top US tech companies to physically pressure Donald Trump into partially lifting the ban.
Although the mechanism for licensing sales to companies under the US Entity List already exists, there is a presumption of denial – which means, in reality, it’s virtually impossible to get those licences.
When the White House agreed to provide those licences at the meeting, what it really means is that HUAWEI will soon be able to purchase at least some of what they need from US companies.
- Trump Lifts HUAWEI Ban – No Great National Emergency!
- The HUAWEI Trump Ban – Everything You Need To Know!
- EMUI 9.1 : What’s New + How To Get This New Mobile OS!
- HUAWEI Calls FedEx Repeated Delivery Failures A Vendetta!
- FedEx Reverses HUAWEI Ban, Calls It “Operational Error”
- FedEx Refused To Deliver HUAWEI P30 Due To Trump Ban!
- The HUAWEI Windows 10 On ARM Laptop – Will It Succeed?
- The IEEE Reverses HUAWEI Ban After Just 4 Days!
- HUAWEI HK Smartphones Bricked After Automatic Updates!
- HUAWEI Bluetooth + WiFi + SD + Android Q Rights Restored!
- The HUAWEI WiFi Alliance Suspension Clarified!
- HUAWEI Legal Motion Too Late, But China Has A Trump Card!
- HUAWEI Outsmarts SD + microSD Ban With NM Card!
- The HUAWEI ARM Business Suspension – How Bad Is This?
- The PRO Mode Photography Guide For HUAWEI P30 Series!
- Win $20K + HUAWEI P30 Pro In These Photography Contests!
- How The P30 Leica Camera Rewrites The Rules Of Photography!
- HUAWEI P30 Pro SuperZoom Samples From Blue Concert!
- 2019 HUAWEI Watch GT Active | Elegant Prices + Availability!
- The 2019 HUAWEI MateBook 13 Price + Deals Revealed!
- The 2019 HUAWEI Level Up Programme Details + Guidelines!
- The HUAWEI P30 Pro Price + Deals + Colour Comparison!
- The HUAWEI P30 Colour + Price + Deal Comparison!
- HUAWEI P30 Malaysia Launch With Incredible Prices + Deals!
- The HUAWEI P30 Pro vs HUAWEI P30 Comparison Guide!
- HUAWEI P30 Pro + P30 Price List + Colours + Specifications!
- Three Key HUAWEI P30 Camera Features Revealed!
- HUAWEI P30 Super Zoom Photos Of Wang Lee Hom!
- Celebrities Leak Pre-Wedding Photos Taken By HUAWEI P30!
- The HUAWEI Mate X Foldable 5G Smartphone Preview!
Go Back To > Mobile | Business | Cybersecurity | Home
Support Tech ARP!