Team Caeli from India may have won the 2019 Imagine Cup Asia, but another team stood out from the crowd of truly excellent teams – Team SUFECS from Malaysia. In fact, they impressed Microsoft Ignite Sydney participants so much, they gave the team an award!
Find out what the SUFECS project is all about, and why the team won the Microsoft Ignite People’s Choice Award!
Updated @ 2019-02-25 : Added a new video of Team SUFECS’s pitch at the Imagine Cup Asia 2019, with additional details on the SUFECS system.
Originally posted @ 2019-02-20
Team SUFECS From UTHM, Malaysia
The SUFECS team was formed by four students from Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia (UTHM).
- Seah Choon Sen : Team Leader & Data Scientist
- Tan Wei Yang : Technology Developer
- Mek Zi Cong : Operations
- Muhammad Adam bin Mazlan : Web Developer
What Is SUFECS All About?
Short for Smart Urban Farming with Automated Environmental Controlled System, SUFECS was developed to make urban farming easier and more accessible to both entrepreneurs and the common people.
Built to automate hydroponic vertical farming, it will continuously monitor and automatically adjust critical environmental parameters to ensure optimal growth. To do that, this enterprising team leveraged IoT devices, cloud computing and machine learning.
- Multiple electronic sensors monitor conditions within the hydroponic system
- A control module sends the environmental parameters to Microsoft Azure for processing and logging
- Deviations from optimal conditions are automatically detected and corrected
The team has demonstrated that SUFECS does not only make it easy for anyone to grow their own crops in an urban, indoor environment, they are able to significantly speed up growth, reducing the time between planting and harvest.
They also showed that SUFECS has successfully increased the size of the plant, and the yield of the crops. This means their system will not only make it easier to setup and maintain an urban hydroponic farm of any size, it will create bigger and better crops.
What Can SUFECS Monitor & Control?
- ambient temperature,
- water temperature,
- humidity level,
- water level,
- pH value, and
- ambient light.
It will also monitor plant height, and alert you when it is ready for harvest.
The team is working to add the ability to monitor and control two additional environmental parameters
- electrical conductivity
- dissolved oxygen level
The team has, so far, developed datasets for five different plant types using machine learning.
SUFECS Wins People’s Choice Award @ Microsoft Ignite Sydney
At the end of Ignite, Team SUFECS received the most vote, and won the People’s Choice Award! Congratulations!
Recommended Reading[adrotate group=”2″]
- Microsoft + IDC : APAC Higher Education Can Double Innovation With AI!
- World’s Oldest PM Learns Coding From Two 10 Year Old Girls!
- Minecraft Ray Tracing : Everything You Need To Know!
- Microsoft Malaysia Rated Top 10 Tech Employer In 2018!
- The 2019 Microsoft – Dell Partnership : All You Need To Know!
- The Microsoft-IDC Report On AI Growth Potential For Malaysia
- Microsoft Technology Centre Sydney : An Exclusive Tour!
- These 2019 Imagine Cup Asia Winners Will Change The World!
- The 2019 Imagine Cup Asia Teams Introduce Themselves!
- The Five 2019 Imagine Cup Asia Judges Revealed!
- The 2019 Microsoft Ignite – A Quick Tour!
- 84% of New PCs with Pirated Software Infected with Malware!