Sony has decided to close their PG Tec factory, which manufactures audio products like WH-1000XM3 headphones!
Find out what’s going on, and what this means for their 3,400 employees and Sony fans!
Sony PG Tec Facility Will Close By September 2021!
Sony has decided to close their PG Tec manufacturing facility, which spans a land area of 172,000 m², with a total built-up area of 95,000 m².
Based in the Prai Industrial Zone, the Sony PG Tec facility produces audio products like the WH-1000XM3 and WP-SP900 headphones, wireless speakers, home theatre systems and Blu-ray players.
It is also the home of a local Sony R&D team that designed the Sony MHC-V81D sound system, amongst other audio products.
Penang Gov Confirms That Sony Will Close PG Tec Facility
Dato’ Haji Abdul Halim, the Penang Trade, Industry and Entrepreneur Development Exco, confirmed the decision, stating that the Penang state government will hold a press conference to address the matter.
According to him, the decision to close this high-tech manufacturing facility was due to “internal restructuring due to fierce market competition”.
The 3,400 or so employees at the Sony PG Tec facility will be offered a severance plan, or relocation to the Sony EMCS factory in Bangi, Selangor.
Some 1,800 employees are local, while another 1,600 are foreigners.
The Sony EMCS PG Tec facility is still operating at the moment, and will close in stages, fully ceasing operation in September 2021.
- Fact Check : CMCO / PKPB Extended To 31 December 2020?
- Fact Check : PKPD In Malaysia Extended To 3 January 2021?
- Dell EMC PowerProtect Cyber Recovery for Sheltered Harbor!
- PowerProtect Data Manager Nov 2020 Update: What’s New?
- 2020 Dell EMC PowerProtect DP Series IDPA : What’s New?
- CMCO Business Activities Extended To 12 AM, Except Sabah!
- 2020 Surface Laptop Go : Price + Availability In Malaysia!
- Malaysia Government : Available COVID-19 Tests + Charges!
- RM399 Laguna Redang 3D2N Holiday : Bait & Switch Scam?
- Latest MySejahtera SOP For Petrol Stations : To Scan Or Not?
- Peninsular Malaysia : CMCO / PKPB Lockdown SOP!
- Nikon Malaysia Ceases Operation On 1 January 2021!
- Dell Technologies DT Index 2020 : What’s New?
- Lazada RedMart Data Breach : What You Need To Know!
- Fact Check : Malaysian Airline System (MAS) In Liquidation?
- Scam Alert : Fake PS4 Promotions On Facebook!
- Sony Interactive To Open First SEA Game Studio In Malaysia!
- Sony IMX586 vs Sony IMX582 Comparison – Which Is Better?
- The New Sony WH-1000XM3 Headphones Are Here!
Go Back To > Business | Home Entertainment | Home