Reuters just reported that HUAWEI’s US research and development arm, Futurewei Technologies, separated its operations from its corporate parent after the HUAWEI Trump ban kicked in.
Here is a look at what happened, and why Futurewei cut ties with HUAWEI.
What Is Futurewei?
Futurewei Technologies is HUAWEI’s US-based research and development company.
With offices in Silicon Valley, Seattle, Chicago and Dallas, it employs hundreds of people, and has deep ties with US universities.
Thanks to its research partnerships and grant programs with at least 50 US universities, Futurewei now has over 2,100 patents in telecommunications, 5G, video and camera technologies.
What Did Futurewei Do?
After HUAWEI and its 68 global affiliates were placed on the US Entity List, Futurewei moved to separate its operations from HUAWEI :
- banning HUAWEI employees from its officers
- moved Futurewei employees to a new IT system
- forbidden Futurewei employees from using the HUAWEI name or logo in communications
However, Futurewei remains a fully-owned subsidiary of HUAWEI Technologies.
Recommended : The HUAWEI Trump Ban – Everything You Need To Know!
Why Did Futurewei Cut Ties With HUAWEI?
There are a few reasons why Futurewei cut ties with its own parent company, HUAWEI :[adrotate group=”2″]
- As a US company, it is forbidden by the HUAWEI Trump ban to export technology to its own parent company. So there is no longer an advantage to maintain official ties.
- Most importantly, it helps Futurewei maintain research partnerships with US universities.
The University of California-Berkeley suspended funding, but allows its researchers to continue working with Futurewei employees who are US citizens or legal permanent residents.
Stanford “paused” new funding agreements with Futurewei in December 2018, but continues to work with Futurewei under existing research agreements.
Recommended : HUAWEI Legal Motion Too Late, But China Has A Trump Card!
- HUAWEI Calls FedEx Repeated Delivery Failures A Vendetta!
- FedEx Reverses HUAWEI Ban, Calls It “Operational Error”
- FedEx Refused To Deliver HUAWEI P30 Due To Trump Ban!
- The HUAWEI Trump Ban – Everything You Need To Know!
- The HUAWEI Windows 10 On ARM Laptop – Will It Succeed?
- The IEEE Reverses HUAWEI Ban After Just 4 Days!
- HUAWEI HK Smartphones Bricked After Automatic Updates!
- HUAWEI Bluetooth + WiFi + SD + Android Q Rights Restored!
- The HUAWEI WiFi Alliance Suspension Clarified!
- HUAWEI Legal Motion Too Late, But China Has A Trump Card!
- HUAWEI Outsmarts SD + microSD Ban With NM Card!
- The HUAWEI ARM Business Suspension – How Bad Is This?
- The PRO Mode Photography Guide For HUAWEI P30 Series!
- Win $20K + HUAWEI P30 Pro In These Photography Contests!
- How The P30 Leica Camera Rewrites The Rules Of Photography!
- HUAWEI P30 Pro SuperZoom Samples From Blue Concert!
- 2019 HUAWEI Watch GT Active | Elegant Prices + Availability!
- The 2019 HUAWEI MateBook 13 Price + Deals Revealed!
- The HUAWEI P30 Pro Price + Deals + Colour Comparison!
- The HUAWEI P30 Colour + Price + Deal Comparison!
- HUAWEI P30 Malaysia Launch With Incredible Prices + Deals!
- The HUAWEI P30 Pro vs HUAWEI P30 Comparison Guide!
- HUAWEI P30 Pro + P30 Price List + Colours + Specifications!
- Three Key HUAWEI P30 Camera Features Revealed!
- HUAWEI P30 Super Zoom Photos Of Wang Lee Hom!
- Celebrities Leak Pre-Wedding Photos Taken By HUAWEI P30!
Go Back To > Business | Cybersecurity | Home
Support Tech ARP!
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, participating in the Tech ARP Forums, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!