Did the leaked Eurocham circular warn of a total shutdown of the economy in Malaysia?
Find out why it was really just a storm in a teacup…
Eurocham Leak Of Malaysia Shutdown : What Happened?
On 23 January 2021, a Eurocham (EU-Malaysia Chamber of Commerce and Industry) circular to their members leaked and circulated on social media – WhatsApp, Facebook, Twitter, etc.
Many netizens and even media outlets blared warnings of a TOTAL LOCKDOWN immediately after 4 February 2021.
Eurocham Leak Of Malaysia Shutdown : Nothing Shocking…
When the circular leaked, there were expressions of SHOCK! Horror! Outrage! online.
The truth is – those who actually read the circular carefully would be nonplussed about what it revealed…
It was really an appeal to the manufacturing industry to help cut down on the infection rate, so that the economy does NOT need to shut down.
So please don’t panic over the threat of a complete shutdown of the economy. We went through it once with the first MCO in March 2020.
It will be no different. We survived that, and if it happens again, we will be ready for it. Remember, my fellow Malaysians – MALAYSIA BOLEH!!!
And if you really want to help prevent a shut down of the economy, please FOLLOW THE SOP!
Eurocham Leak Of Malaysia Shutdown : The Facts
For those who want a play-by-play of why there’s nothing to worry about in the Eurocham circular, here are our points…
Fact #1 : It Was KKM With Clear Stand On Complete Shutdown
The circular noted that it was the Malaysia Ministry of Health (KKM) that “made a clear stand of the matter of a complete shutdown of the economy“.
It did not even mention what that “clear stand” was, but KKM has stated publicly that they recommended a strict lockdown to the government several times in the past.
Fact #2 : Shutdown Was Always A Possibility
A complete shutdown of the economy, which happened with the first MCO, was always a possibility.
The Malaysia Ministry of Health shared publicly that they had recommended the reimposition of those strict measures several times in the past.
Fact #3 : Shutdown Was Predicated On Infection Rate
What many people did not notice or care is that the “threat” of a complete shutdown of the economy was predicated on the infection rate.
“Should the infection rate not decrease, the Malaysian government will announce a shutdown / strict lockdown immediately after 4 February 2021.”
In other words – if the infection rate can be brought down, the shutdown or strict lockdown will not happen at all.
Fact #4 : Shutdown Was Overruled In The Past
The Malaysian government overruled KKM’s recommendations for strict MCO in the past, so even their “clear stand” this time may not amount to much.
In fact, the circular states that the Malaysian government is considering either a shutdown or a strict lockdown (see the quote in Fact #3).
Fact #5 : Industry Was Asked To Help Cut Down Infection Rate
The circular points out that the manufacturing sector accounts for a large number of clusters, and worker dormitories, transportation and social activities were identified as key problem areas.
Therefore, the meeting was to get the manufacturing industry to help clamp down on the infection rate, by addressing those problem areas.
Fact #6 : It Was An Urgent Appeal To Forestall A Shutdown
If the government had already made up their mind to shutdown the economy, they would not bother to call for such meetings with industry representatives.
It was obvious from the circular that the Malaysian government was urgently appealing for industries to solve the problem of persistently high COVID-19 infection rates.
Hence, the circular listed two urgent measures that companies were requested to implement immediately.
- Fact Check : 52 New MCO SOP Rules On 4 February 2021!
- Why Thousands Of Vaccinated Israelis Got COVID-19 Anyway
- Malaysia MCO : Nine States + Territories Extended To 4 Feb!
- Whole Malaysia, Except Sarawak, Under MCO Lockdown!
- 2021 Travel SOP For MCO / CMCO Areas In Malaysia!
- Focus On Fauci : These Vaccine Lies Can Get You KILLED!
- 23 Post-Vaccination Deaths In Norway : The Facts + The BS!
- Can Inhaling Steam + Supplements Prevent COVID-19?
- Seremban + Port Dickson Under MCO On 19 January 2021!
- Kelantan + 3 Sarawak Areas Under MCO On 16 January 2021!
- New SOP for MCO / PKP 2.0 : What You Need To Know!
- 2021 MCO : Business Sectors Allowed By MITI
- Can This Corona Kashayam Recipe Prevent COVID-19?
- Fact Check : Can Betadine + Listerine Prevent COVID-19?
- Malaysia Approves Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine!
- Malaysia Buys 25 Million Pfizer BNT162b2 Vaccine Doses!
- 2021 MCO / CMCO / RMCO : What You Need To Know!
- Is WhatsApp Forcing Us To Share Data With Facebook In February 2021?
- Fact Check : Sungai Buloh Hospital Cramped With Patients?
- Is Genting Highlands Closed Over Many COVID-19 Cases?
- Hello? WhatsApp Is Already Sharing Data With Facebook!
- Malaysia : Register For COVID-19 Vaccine Via MySejahtera
- Antivaxxers Keep Creating Fake Tiffany Dover Death Claims!
- Face Mask Guide : The RIGHT Way To Wear + Remove!
- Fact Check : Are There Two Sides To A Surgical Mask?
- COVID-19 : How To SAFELY Clean Your Mobile Devices!
- Face Mask vs COVID-19 : Should You Wear One?
Go Back To > Business | Fact Checks | Home