At the Apsara Conference 2019, Alibaba Cloud announced that they will be introducing the 3rd Gen X-Dragon Architecture for their cloud servers!
Here is a quick PRIMER on the new 3rd Gen X-Dragon Architecture!
What Is X-Dragon?
X-Dragon – Shenlong in Chinese – is a proprietary bare metal server architecture developed by Alibaba Cloud for their cloud computing requirements.
Built around a custom X-Dragon MOC card, it delivers what Alibaba Cloud calls Elastic Compute Service (ECS) capability in a bare metal server.
The ECS bare metal instances it offers combine the benefits of bare metal servers, and virtual machines.
For example, it offers direct access to CPU and RAM resources without virtualisation overheads that bare metal servers offer, with the instant deployment and image migration capabilities of virtual machines.
The downsides? ECS bare metal instances, once deployed, cannot be upgraded or downgraded. In addition, if there is a hardware failure, a failover occurs and the data remains stored in the instance’s storage drives.
What’s New In The 3rd Gen X-Dragon Architecture?
Basically – SPEED.[adrotate group=”2″]
According to Alibaba Cloud, the 3rd Gen X-Dragon architecture is able to increase Queries Per Second (QPS) by 30% and decrease latency by 60% in e-commerce scenarios.
In tandem, they also announced the 6th Gen ECS instance, which delivers a 20% boost in computing power, a 30% reduction in memory latency, and a 70% reduction in storage IO latency.
Not new, but also important is the fact that because it is cloud-native by design, it eliminates power wastage from idle bare metal servers. Alibaba Cloud claims that alone reduces the unit computing cost by 50%.
3rd Gen X-Dragon Architecture Availability
Alibaba Cloud will start rolling out the 3rd Gen X-Dragon architecture upgrade to millions of their cloud servers around the world from 2020 onwards.
- The Alibaba Hanguang 800 (含光 800) AI NPU Explained!
- Dell OptiPlex 7070 Ultra, A Flexible Modular Zero-Footprint PC!
- Kambyan ManUsIA + AleX Laser Cutting Drone Technology!
- YES + TPG Launch VoLTE Roaming In Southeast Asia!
- Yes, Yahoo Mail Is Still Alive… And They Have A New App!
- Microsoft + IDC : APAC Higher Education Can Double Innovation With AI!
- The Schaffhausen Institute of Technology – NUS Partnership
- Acronis Cyber Penthouse with Williams F1 Racing Team!
- 100Mbps ViewQwest Freedom 100 Price + Offer Analysed!
- World’s Oldest PM Learns Coding From Two 10 Year Old Girls!
- The NVIDIA ACE Design For Creator Laptops Explained!
- SAP Experience 2019 – An Intelligent Enterprise Conference
- Kaspersky Selects Malaysia For APAC Transparency Center!
Go Back To > Business + Enterprise | Computer | Home
Support Tech ARP!