Page 2 : AMD Summit Ridge Tech Update, Performance, Infinity Fabric & SenseMI
The AMD Summit Ridge Technology Update
Jim Anderson, SVP and GM of the AMD Computing and Graphics division, kicked off the session with an update on the AMD Summit Ridge desktop processor.
- The first AMD Summit Ridge processors will officially launch in Q1, 2017.
- The AMD Zen-based server processor, codenamed Naples, will launch in Q2, 2017.
- The AMD Zen-based notebook APU, codenamed Raven Ridge, will launch in H2, 2017.
- The top AMD Summit Ridge processor SKU will have a 3.4 GHz base clock, or better. Its boost clock was not revealed.
- The AMD Summit Ridge processors will have a 4 MB L2 cache and a 16 MB L3 cache.
The AMD Summit Ridge CPU’s Performance
The AMD Ryzen “Summit Ridge” processor may not be ready for primetime but how does it currently perform? John Taylor, Corporate Vice President, Worldwide Marketing at AMD, compared the performance of an AMD Ryzen processor running at 3.4 GHz (without boost) against the Intel Core i7-6900K running at the stock speed of 3.2 GHz (3.7 GHz boost).
- The AMD Ryzen running at 3.4 GHz is slightly faster than the Intel Core i7-6900K in this Handbrake benchmark.
The Infinity Fabric & SenseMI Technologies
These technologies built into the AMD Ryzen processors are new revelations by AMD. Mark Papermaster, Senior Vice President & CTO of AMD explains what they are.
- Pure Power uses real-time sensors to support a closed-loop control through Infinity Fabric.
- Precision Boost allows for fine-grained frequency control in 25 MHz increments.
- Extended Frequency Range (XFR) is fully automated and permits frequencies above the Precision Boost limits.
- Neural Net Prediction anticipates future decisions, preloads instructions and chooses the best processing path.
- Smart Prefetch algorithms have been greatly improved.
Support Tech ARP!
- 1. Page 1 : The AMD Ryzen Summit Ridge Tech Briefing, Key Points Summary
- 2. Page 2 : AMD Summit Ridge Tech Update, Performance, Infinity Fabric & SenseMI
- 3. Page 3 : Introducing AMD Ryzen, Performance & Power Efficiency, Closing Remarks
- 4. Page 4 : The Complete AMD Ryzen Tech Briefing Video & Slides