AMD launched the Ryzen 7 processors in March 2017. Just over a year later, they finally launched the 2nd Gen Ryzen desktop processors, codenamed Pinnacle Ridge, and popularly known as Ryzen 2.
Here is everything you need to know about 2nd Gen Ryzen processors – key features, specifications, price and performance! As always, we will keep updating the article when new information comes to light.
- Page 1 : 2nd Gen Ryzen @ Ryzen 2 Basics
- AMD Raven Ridge + AMD Pinnacle Ridge + Ryzen 2000 Series Stack
- 2nd Gen Ryzen Processor Specifications, Price + Availability
- Page 2 : 2nd Gen Ryzen 2 @ Ryzen 2 Key Features Part 1
- 2nd Gen Ryzen 2 Ryzen 2 Tech Briefings
- AMD Zen+ Microarchitecture + 12LP Process Technology
- Precision Boost 2 + Precision Boost Overdrive + XFR 2
- Page 3 : 2nd Gen Ryzen 2 @ Ryzen 2 Key Features Part 2
- Soldered IHS + Multiplier Unlocked + AMD Wraith Prism Cooler
- AMD 400-Series Chipsets + AMD StoreMI Technology
- Page 4 : 2nd Gen Ryzen 2 @ Ryzen 2 Demos + CPUs Up Close!
- The AMD Ryzen 7 2700X + CINEBENCH R15 + Mega-Tasking Demos
- The AMD Ryzen 7 2700X + AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Up Close!
- Page 5 : How Fast Are 2nd Gen Ryzen CPUs?
- How Fast Are AMD Ryzen 7 2700X + AMD Ryzen 5 2600X?
- SiSoftware Performance Analysis
- Page 6 : The Complete 2nd Gen Ryzen @ Ryzen 2 Presentation Slides
2nd Gen Ryzen @ Ryzen 2
Colloquially known as Ryzen 2, the 2nd Gen Ryzen desktop processors promise even to deliver even better price-performance value than their award-winning Ryzen brethren. But calling the actual models Ryzen 2 is confusing, because the Ryzen family is split into three numerically-named lines – Ryzen 7, Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 3.
Officially, they should be known as the 2nd Gen Ryzen processors, or the AMD Ryzen 2000 Series, like so :[adrotate group=”2″]
- AMD Ryzen 7 2000 Series
- AMD Ryzen 5 2000 Series
- AMD Ryzen 3 2000 Series
Even so, many people still insist on calling them the Ryzen 2 processors…
AMD Raven Ridge
The first AMD Ryzen 2 processors already hit the market on 12 February 2018. The AMD Ryzen 2000G Series, codenamed Raven Ridge, is considered to be part of the Ryzen 2000 series, even though they are based on the original Zen microarchitecture.
They are Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) – essentially Ryzen CPUs with integrated Vega graphics. You can read more about them in our articles :
- AMD Raven Ridge Desktop APUs – Everything You Need To Know!
- AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with Radeon RX Vega 11 Graphics Review
- AMD Ryzen 3 2200G with Radeon Vega 8 Graphics Review
AMD Pinnacle Ridge
The true 2nd Gen Ryzen desktop processors are codenamed Pinnacle Ridge. They are based on the Zen+ microarchitecture, and fabricated using the 12LP process technology. Here are the first four 2nd Gen Ryzen processors :
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X – 8C / 16T, 20 MB cache, 3.7 GHz / 4.3 GHz
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700 – 8C / 16T, 20 MB cache, 3.2 GHz / 4.1 GHz
- AMD Ryzen 5 2600X – 6C / 12T, 19 MB cache, 3.6 GHz / 4.2 GHz
- AMD Ryzen 5 2600 – 6C / 12T, 19 MB cache, 3.4 GHz / 3.9 GHz
Existing AMD 300-series motherboards will support the new 2nd Gen Ryzen “Pinnacle Ridge” processors with a BIOS update, which should be available starting March 2018.
The AMD Ryzen 2000 Series Stack
According to the current AMD Ryzen 2000 Series Stack, the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X replaces both the Ryzen 7 1700X and Ryzen 7 1800X.
2nd Gen Ryzen @ Ryzen 2 Specifications
Here are the specifications of the six AMD Ryzen 2000 series processors – four 2nd Gen Ryzen “Pinnacle Ridge” processors, and two Raven Ridge APUs.
|Specifications||Ryzen 7 2700X||Ryzen 7 2700||Ryzen 5 2600X||Ryzen 5 2600||Ryzen 5 2400G||Ryzen 3 2200G|
|Code Name||Pinnacle Ridge||Pinnacle Ridge||Pinnacle Ridge||Pinnacle Ridge||Raven Ridge||Raven Ridge|
|Process Technology||12 nm FinFET||12 nm FinFET||12 nm FinFET||12 nm FinFET||14 nm FinFET||14 nm FinFET|
|Cores / Threads||8 / 16||8 / 16||6 / 12||6 / 12||4 / 8||4 / 4|
|Base Clock||3.7 GHz||3.2 GHz||3.6 GHz||3.4 GHz||3.60 GHz||3.50 GHz|
|Boost Clock||4.3 GHz||4.1 GHz||4.2 GHz||3.9 GHz||3.90 GHz||3.70 GHz|
|L2 Cache||4 MB||4 MB||3 MB||3 MB||2 MB||2 MB|
|L3 Cache||16 MB||16 MB||16 MB||16 MB||4 MB||4 MB|
|Integrated GPU||None||None||None||None||Radeon RX Vega 11||Radeon Vega 8|
|Max. DDR4 Speed||DDR4-2933||DDR4-2933||DDR4-2933||DDR4-2933||DDR4-2933||DDR4-2933|
|TDP||105 W||65 W||95 W||65 W||65 W||65 W|
|Bundled Cooler||Wraith Prism||Wraith Spire (LED)||Wraith Spire||Wraith Stealth||Wraith Stealth||Wraith Stealth|
|Launch Price||US$ 329||US$ 299||US$ 229||US$ 199||US$ 169||US$ 99|
2nd Gen Ryzen Price & Availability
The 2nd Gen Ryzen @ Ryzen 2 processors are available for sale beginning 19 April 2018, at the following price points :
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X – US$ 329 (with Wraith Prism)
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700 – US$ 299 (with Wraith Spire LED)
- AMD Ryzen 5 2600X – US$ 229 (with Wraith Spire)
- AMD Ryzen 5 2600 – US$ 199 (with Wraith Stealth)
Will the first generation Ryzen (Summit Ridge) processors get a price cut when the 2nd Gen Ryzen begins shipping? Find out in our article – Cheaper Ryzen CPUs When Ryzen 2 Launches?
Next Page > 2nd Gen Ryzen @ Ryzen 2 Key Features Part 1
Support Tech ARP!
If you like our work, you can help support our work by visiting our sponsors, participating in the Tech ARP Forums, or even donating to our fund. Any help you can render is greatly appreciated!
Pingback: Daily Roundup: 2017-12-11 - Bjorn3D.com
Pingback: Daily Roundup: 2017-12-12 - Bjorn3D.com