Opening The Box
Let's open up the box and look inside!
On removing the top styrofoam cover, you will see three satellite speakers on the right side. Of course, in this picture, we have already removed them. The big hole beside the three small holes is where the subwoofer was seated.
The first thing that caught my attention was the subwoofer. Why? It looked quite small actually. The size of the subwoofer is roughly 23 cm x 23 cm x 23 cm. To my surprise, this is an acoustic suspension subwoofer!
Normally, speakers at this price range use the bass reflex system instead of the airtight enclosure design. This is because acoustic suspension subwoofers need more powerful amplifiers to drive them, compared to bass reflex subwoofers.
Don't worry if you don't understand what is acoustic suspension is all about, I will explain it briefly later in the review.
Here are the installation manual and the stereo RCA to dual stereo mini adapter.
The stereo RCA to dual stereo mini adapter is for game consoles.
Here is a picture of the entire ensemble out of the box. The Z-640 speakers are, of course, not THX-certified. This is not surprising since it's marketed as a mainstream solution.
Here is what you can expect to find in the Z-640 box :
- One dual chamber subwoofer
- One center channel speaker with intergrated controls
- One satellite speakers
- All necessary cords and cables for PC
- Stereo RCA to dual stereo mini adapter for video game consoles
- User's guide in English
Here are the Z-640's specifications :
- Total RMS power: 71.2 watts
- Subwoofer: 25.7 watts RMS
- Satellites: 45.5 watts RMS (2 x 7.3 W front; 2 x 7.3W rear; 16.3 centre)
- Total peak power 140 watts
- System frequency response: 35Hz - 20kHz
- Signal -to-noise ratio: >75dB
- Input impedance: > 5,000 ohms
- Shielded satellites for use near video monitors
Now, let's have a close up view on each of the Z-640's speakers.
Help Support ARP!
If you like this site and/or this article, please help support us by clicking on the IntelliTXT ads or any of the banners. Thanks!