Earlier this week, we were invited to an exclusive media session with Sunita Kaur, the Managing Director for Spotify Asia and Benjamin Chelliah, Head of PR for Spotify Asia. Join us for this exclusive Q&A session!
The Spotify Q&A Session With Sunita Kaur
Spotify hosted this media session to provide updates on the listening habits and statistics of Spotify users both in Malaysia and around Asia. During the session, Sunita shared that :
- 1 in 4 people with internet access are streaming on Spotify.
- Over the past 12 months, Malaysians have streamed at least 7.5 billion minutes worth of music.
- Malaysians spend on average 148 minutes per day streaming on Spotify
- The most streamed artists are The Chainsmokers, Ed Sheeran and The Weeknd.
- The most listened to albums are Starboy, Shape of You and 24k Magic.
- The top streamed songs are Shape of You, Say You Won’t Let Go and Paris.
- The peak stream period is between 4:00 pm and 5:00 pm.
- The most streamed genres are Pop, Hip Hop and EDM/Dance.
Sunita also shared that Mr. James Yeow, Deputy President of the Malaysian Society for Music in Medicine (MSMM) and Senior Lecturer at HELP University Psychology Department, helped Spotify in creating specific playlists for different times of the day, like :
- The Early Birds (5 am to 9 am) – In Malaysia, “Fun Workout” is the one of the more popular playlist in the morning. Spotify users love high intensity pop to kick start their morning routine. Other early bird favourites include, strong beats from “Good Morning Malaysia!” while “Morning Stroll” shows that not all who wake up early are in a rush to get about.
- The Busy Bees (9 am to 12 pm) – It is interesting to note that, the “Deep Focus” playlist is frequently streamed at this time. Malaysian users also love “Acoustic Favourites” and “It’s a Hit”, a wonderful mix of the hottest songs packed together to keep them company through the morning rush.
- The Midday Zombies (12 pm to 5 pm) – It comes as no surprise that “Pop Waktu Kerja” and “Top Hits Malaysia” are popular playlists during these times, especially since they are perfect break time music for those in need of a little boost. Many also enjoy their “Light & Easy” playlist to breeze through their afternoons with light pop.
- The Night Riders (6 pm to 10 pm) – Malaysian users love to unwind with upbeat house tunes from our “Night Rider” playlist. On that upbeat note, Malaysians definitely know how to make the most out of their nights with “Rock Jiwang” and “Party Life”.
- The Dream Chasers (10 pm to 1 am) – Playlists such as “Sleep” and “Nature Noise” encourage deep sleep by turning our busy beta brain waves into anxiety-free alpha or dreamlike delta waves. Whilst, popular and sedative music around 60 beats per minutes found within the “Before Tidur” playlist is also a great way to elicit deep sleep.