Malaysia is at the cusp of a data revolution. Cloud computing as well as big data analytics and intelligence will play a central role in this data revolution. Data science will transform entire industries in a new world in which data is the new currency. To support the transition to a data-centric world, the Microsoft SQL Server has evolved beyond its database roots, into a full-fledged business analytics and data management platform.
On the 8th of April, 2016, Microsoft Malaysia officially launched the new Microsoft SQL Server 2016 to support this transition to a data-centric world. Four key figures from Microsoft and the Multimedia Development Corporation came together to address the expansion of data science in Malaysia, and how SQL Server 2016 will help companies achieve their goals faster and easier than ever before.
Microsoft Malaysia On The Launch Of SQL Server 2016
In this video, Michal Golebiewski, Chief Marketing & Operations Officer, Microsoft Malaysia explains Microsoft’s mission and how they aim to help companies transform their operations to a mobile-first, data-first environment with Microsoft SQL Server 2016.
Dr. Karl Ng (MDeC) On Data Science In Malaysia
Ir Dr. Karl Ng Kah Hou, Director, Innovation Capital Division, The Multimedia Development Corporation (MDeC) then spoke on the push for data science in Malaysia. He also addressed questions about MDeC’s initiatives on data science in Malaysia. Check it out :
How To Become A Data Scientist
Microsoft even brought in a real-life data scientist – Julian Lee. An Advance Analytics Technical Solutions Professional in Microsoft Asia, he gave us a riveting account of his experience as a data scientist in Malaysia. A must-watch for those who are thinking of taking this exciting new career path.
Microsoft SQL Server 2016’s Key Features
Ending this exclusive event was Darmadi Komo, the Director of Microsoft’s Data Group Marketing. He flew in all the way from the Microsoft campus at Redmond to share with us the key features of the new Microsoft SQL Server 2016.
He also shared with us the fabulous offer from Microsoft – free SQL Server 2016 licences for companies that want to migrate from Oracle. The offer’s good up to June 2016, so contact Microsoft Malaysia ASAP if you are interested!
The new Microsoft SQL Server 2016 supports hybrid transactional / analytical processing, advanced analytics and machine learning, mobile Business Intelligence, data integration, always encrypted query processing capabilities and in-memory transactions with persistence.
- Stretch Database technology is an industry first and allows customers to dynamically stretch warm and cold transactional data to Azure so operational data is always accessible. This also enables customers to have a cost-effective data strategy while protecting their customer’s sensitive data.
- Advanced analytics using our new R support that enables customers to do real-time predictive analytics on both operational and analytic data.
- Ground-breaking security encryption capabilities that enable data to always be encrypted at rest, in motion and in-memory to deliver maximum security protection.
- In-memory database support for every workload with performance increases up to 30-100x.
- Business Intelligence for every employee on every device – including new mobile BI support for iOS, Android and Windows Phone devices.
- Available on Linux in private preview, making SQL Server 2016 more accessible to a broader set of users
- Unique cloud capabilities that enable customers to deploy hybrid architectures that partition data workloads across on-premises and cloud based systems to save costs and increase agility